Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Echobit Family Cage Installed!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Well it is for the most part. We still have to do some tweaking on the rear legs, add a triangulating support, and some other add-ons.

I couldn't believe how easy it was to assemble the entire cage within 10 minutes time. It definitely is a quality product. Thanks to Mike for the great deal on the cage.

CAGE PICS

2. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Registered Member

Man that looks really good. I'd order one of those but I just cant see paying myself paying for the shipping. I'm jealous!!!!

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Looks good. Do the back legs land on the tail pan?

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Looks great! How does it secure to the chassis?

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

How many PT. are are on the cage?

6. Waxer

Yeah they land on the tailpan with 1/4" plates as the feet. I'm especially lucky cause I replaced my rear tailpan support with 1x3" tubing, 1/4" wall cause my stock tailpan had failed. So it's especially strong back there.

7. Waxer

Good eye!! Detailed pics of those were left out on purpose cause we aren't done yet. But the plan is to have everything bolt in. They will go through the chassis at the points where all the support beams are for maximum strength.
    It had just got dark too quick yesterday and we ran out of time. We have planned the weekend after next to finish things up and add all the rest of the cage which you don't see there.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Could you measure from the bottom side of the cage to the floorboard at the drivers seat. I want to know how much headroom I'd have with this cage.

9. Waxer

Certainly, Mike I know has all the specs on this cage. I will point him to this post and get your question answered for ya.

I know I have a good amount of headroom, especially more so after I mount my seats correctly. Right now they are on temporary mounts pending the cage completion. They are about 1.75" too tall right now so if I try, I can hit my head on one of the spreaders. But thats if I sit straight up and TRY to touch it with my head.

Once I fix my mounts that won't be a problem, and for those occasions when I bounce up a bit, the spreaders will be padded anyways.

btw, have you tried getting into a CJ with a cage? Geez you have like no room there for your head. Feel sorry for those guys.

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Lots of questions! Let me start by thanking Steve for his time and patience in getting the cage built for his rig. Building a cage for the pre 78 blazers is difficult due to the double floors they have. We didn't get to finish tying the cage down because we have to cut access holes in the bottom to get to the floor of the truck. As for how many points, it really depends on how you define points. Most define it by places the cage attaches to the floor. As pictured, it would be considered a 9 point cage.. but completed it would be a 13 point cage. The distance from the halo to the floor is about 45".. that’s 44 1/2" at the windshield and 45 1/2" at the main hoop. Thanks to Steve, we identified some differences in design for a full top off and a half cab, were going to see about some modifications to accommodate both.

As for the overall design, I get a lot of questions as to why bars were placed where they were. For the most part, this was the approach and I leave it as advice for those building their own family cage. I designed a full cage as tight to the interior as I could which provided cover for the front and rear seats. I then triangulated everything once for minimal stability... and I examined areas that may need to be triangulated again due to long spans of tubing . This made a cage with everything X'd out everywhere and would be great for an all out race cage. Then I got in each seat of my blazer and imagined where all the bars would be and found that most of the X'd out tubes were very close to where peoples heads, legs or other sensitive areas would be.. ok, for a race truck, but not for the family's weekend warrior. The horizontal spanners replaced the X’s in the halo’s so people heads wouldn’t always be within an inch of impact (regardless if it was padded), the rear of the truck will be X’d out, but removable for continued use of the rear bed, and door side diagonals were made optional, and can be made removable. The one bar which I refused to make removable or eliminate was the diagonal within the main hoop… its just needed for structural integrity and does come close to the rear passengers legs. These cages can easily be made full race and all triangulated, but its much more difficult to make them daily drivable!