Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Echobit flip & 56" springs....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Apr 7, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Echobit flip & 56\" springs....

I did a search and found some good info but I just want to make sure this will work. Can you swap the sides of the shackle flip, put the driverside flip on the passenger side and vice versa, and then swap the 56" springs for the 52" springs and run a stock shackle? I am planning on using the Echobit flip and all of this is going on my 88 Jimmy. Also, what will swapping springs accomplish? Will the road manners be worse? This is my daily driver.

Thanks

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Echobit flip & 56\" springs....

From what I have seen, I'd have to say no. They are designed specifically for their respective sides. I will get Mike on here to give the definitive answer.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have heard and read that yes you can go to the longer spring by flipping them from one side to the other.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, you can do that. You may need other than stock shackles to make it work though. 57" F150 springs are common. PM Mike yourself and he'll be able to tell you more.

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Got this in an email from Mike

[ QUOTE ]
    Generally, it takes a 6" shackle to fit a 57" spring and a 5" shackle to fit
    a 56" spring. The stock 4" shackle would invert and fold over under full
    stuff. Lots of guys run this setup with great success.

- Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Have any of you guys had any problems with the 4" shackle or do you guys run a 5" shackle?

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Wasn't answered in the email, but yes, you can flip the brackets left to right and vice versa to move the shackle mount 1" to the rear. Stock springs are 52" long and stock shackles are 4" long. With a 56" spring and the stock mounting location (52" from the front eye) a 4" shackle would sit horizontal and inline with the spring. With the 1" you gain from running the Echobit flips on opposite sides, it will sit at about a 35 degree angle which under spring compression may just barely contact your flip bracket. It will be very close.

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I understand a better know. So would it be safer to run a 6" shackle and if so what does that do to driveline angles and such?

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The difference between the 5" shackle and the 6" shackle could result in as much as 3/4" of lift at the axle. Usually you only get half as much lift at the axle as you apply at the shackle but when the shackle sits at an angle (rather than straight up and down) a difference of an inch in shackle length could provide as much as an inch of overall lift at the axle. I'm not sure the 56" springs are flexible enough to take full advantage of 6" shackle, but a large tire like a 38 and a heavy axle might be able fully cycle a 6" shackle.

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would be running a 35 or 36 and a 14sf. So would a the stock shackle do the job, expecially on a daily driver?

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I think the stock 4" is cutting it close - I still recommend a 5" shackle... but what the hey, mount them up with the stock 4" shackle and see how close it gets.