Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Echobit Flip....how much did you gain?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Dec 26, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I am going to install an echobit flip on my GMC and I need to know how much actual lift it gives. The front will have 8" superlift springs (delivered today) so my rear lift will need to match. Some people say 6", some say 5" but I need to know exactly so I can plan the rear lift and I dont wanna sag or be to high.

I was thinking (maybe) stock springs (135k miles) with an add-a-leaf, but If I will need more then I might just replace the rear springs.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Stock springs with an add a leaf sounds good. I'd try that first, then if you need like an inch you can go to a Zero Rate or 2 1/2" lift springs.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I got enough lift to make my front 6" springs and extended shackles look like not enough. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

nm, I didn't notice echobit in the flip description..my flip was homemade

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Are you going to run a shimmed zero rate to move the axle back and get rid of the vibes from the pinion angle or do you have a cv shaft, just askin b/c Im about to install one myself

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

if anything, my experience with 20 different combinations, a 208 does not work very smoothly with lifts- Some people have gotten it done, I drove around for 6 months with a little vibe- Drive shaft was a little bit on the short side after the echobit flip, but it was still enough so that it could never fall out.

I did end up going to a CV drive shaft and the AZ 1.5" zero rates. Unfortunately, now my truck looks like its always got's its ass stickin in the air. (I figured 300 lbs of camping gear for 5 people would weigh down the back some. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. 88jimmy4x4

Thanks guys, are you saying that the pinion angle is worse with a flip than with an equal amount of lift from springs?

What size lift do you have in the front Pookster?

I currently have 6" spring packs with 9 degree shim and my d-shaft is perfectly aligned. I have added a CV to the yoke and I dont have any vibes at any speeds whatsoever.

I am doing all this to make it ride smoother.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I would say I got around 6" with my echobit flip. The flip itself gives exactly 5 3/4" lift. If you factor in how old your springs are, then that may give some people less. If you bought brand new 2" springs for the rear, and the flip, it would be 7 3/4" lift. Which should put you where you need. I left my springs stock, and the truck sits level with 4" front bds springs and a zero rate. BDS springs are tall, so the front is around 6". As far as the transfer case goes, I have a 208, and had a bad problem with the lift. Horrible vibration, and a bad grinding noise whenever I let off the gas. I had to lengthen the shaft about an inch, put a cv joint in it, and drop the t-case. It works fine now.
    -Harrison

9. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 208, and had a bad problem with the lift. Horrible vibration, and a bad grinding noise whenever I let off the gas. I had to lengthen the shaft about an inch, put a cv joint in it, and drop the t-case. It works fine now.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]
    Holy hell Ive been trying to figure out what that grinding was when I let of the gas for about a year! do you think just lengthing the driveshaft will get rid of the grinding feeling

10. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    I would say I got around 6" with my echobit flip. The flip itself gives exactly 5 3/4" lift. If you factor in how old your springs are, then that may give some people less. If you bought brand new 2" springs for the rear, and the flip, it would be 7 3/4" lift. Which should put you where you need. I left my springs stock, and the truck sits level with 4" front bds springs and a zero rate. BDS springs are tall, so the front is around 6".

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats exactly the info I needed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as the transfer case goes, I have a 208, and had a bad problem with the lift. Horrible vibration, and a bad grinding noise whenever I let off the gas. I had to lengthen the shaft about an inch, put a cv joint in it, and drop the t-case. It works fine now.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying this is a problem thats inherent from the flip, or just from any lift in the rear? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I allready have 6" rear springs and I have lenghtened the d-shaft, added a CV, dropped the t-case 1" and added the correct shims for the proper angle. If I just add the flip and the replace the 6" rear springs with stock springs I shouldnt have any added problems correct?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

As far as with angle, you're going to have to shim your pinion DOWN after the 'flip. The shackle flip will raise your pinion angle significantly.

12. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as with angle, you're going to have to shim your pinion DOWN after the 'flip. The shackle flip will raise your pinion angle significantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats good news, because I had to stack shims (bolt on) to aquire the 9 degree(6+3)proper shim height. Sure would be nice to remove a shim in this process.
    How much do you think I could remove? 3 degree?
    (also Im adding a 2.5" add-a-leaf if that makes any diff)
    Thanks again for the advice and info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it all installed yesterday, your were right, I was able to remove 4 degrees of shim from the 9 I was having to use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Is it possible that it moves the axle forward or is it just my imagination?

14. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Did you finally get your parts from him I still havent got mine.

15. 88jimmy4x4

Heck no, Im still waiting on my sliders /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I bought these from a CK5 member /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it all installed yesterday, your were right, I was able to remove 4 degrees of shim from the 9 I was having to use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Is it possible that it moves the axle forward or is it just my imagination?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know, cause my pinion angle is too high and I have an even longer wheelbase.

Yes it moves your axle forward slightly. Any 'flip does.