Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Echobit flip still available????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mr.Chevy4x4, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have done some searches on the net and can't find them. Does anyone know if they are still being made?

Thanks!

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I am almost positive that they are no longer made.

3. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

nope

they are not he only made so many and could not keep up with them . the guy screwed over alot of people who paid for them and he never made them . SO yes the company went out of bussiness

I got one on my rig :wink1:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its been so long , but there was a post where the measurements are if you want to make your own .

Mine was procured used , and I have dragged the truck on em and they hold up well .

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got a pair on mine. Bought used almost a year after the echobit dude had his meltdown. I had been looking for them all over the net. Ebay, here in the for sale section and on a local Colorado 4x4 board. They popped up on the local board. $50

Only problem with getting a used set is if the PO cranked the snot out of the bolt that holds it to the flip bracket to the stock hanger. It pinched the top ears in enough they would not slide over my hangers. Hit it with a porta-power and opened them up slightly. Didn't take much, maybe a 1/8" total. then they slipped snuggly over the hanger.

Much easier than having to drop my tank to get the rivits out of my stock hangers.

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I bought one of his first sets.

At that time, he included a spacer so the top plates would not get pinched in.

I have beat on them as well and cannot bend/break them.
    I have bent a few OEM shackles though.

7. ZooMad75

I got the spacers with mine, but I don't think the PO used them when he installed them. I did put them in when I installed them. I can vouch for the strength though. We tried spreading the even the small side ear out with adjustable end wrench pinched on it and it wouldn't budge. Thankfully my buddy had a porta-power.

8. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I think I got one of the last kits from that Mike dude. After I got mine was when everyone stated getting screwed! I am having the flip kit installed w/ the 57"f-150 springs finally (two years sitting in garage). Good to hear that they hold up. Someone else should start making them again. The bolt on factor is huge.

9. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I wonder what Kert can whip up ;)

10. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: I was thinking the same thing, maybe we sould give him a hint or too...

Ive had my echobit just after it came out under my sub and I am very happy with it, simple, easy, cheap too bad he was such a financal moron. He had some other good products too.

11. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i was one of the many who werent kissed before we were f#$ked. even though i would still like to drag his ass through a mile of broken glass , i would
    prefer having the shackles instead of getting my money back. :wink1:

sooner or later he will show up and i hope he has all the parts he owes people:mad:

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

DIY/Kerts flip owns the old echobit one anyway... who cares if you can still get that thing? Kert doesn't rip people off either...

j

13. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I hear ya, I had to raise a bunch of hell to get mine, and if I remember correctly I was the last person to get one at all. That guy is a SOB:mad:

14. ZooMad75

Kert's flips look awesome. I'll agree to that, but cost for some of us is still a factor. The echobits are/were strong yet an inexpensive alternative to the DIY, ORD and Sky flips. Like it was mentioned, the bolt on factor is huge. You don't have to drop the tank on a K5 to hack/torch the facory rivits out to install them. Not everybody can do that.

I think there is a market out there for cheaper alternative that is still stronger than cutting holes in the stock hanger. It would be for the budget minded that want the benefits of a flip, installs easy even though it gives up a little in all out strength to the full replacement hangers. Call it an entry level flip if you want.

If I had to guess there is maybe $20 in just materials, maybe less. If somebody put a new set together, sold it at a reasonable cost below the full replacement flips AND is able to deliver (unlike echobit) it would be a nice part to add to somebody's line. Then again, I don't have the skills to make one myself nor market it for sale so I might be speaking WAY outside realm of knowledge here...

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

heh, "inexpensive" assuming you actually got something after paying for it... :confused:

Then have a shop install it. This is a really easy mod... if you can't do it you probably don't ever want to do any kind of work on your own rig.

anything is possible I guess... no idea how much EB made on each unit. :shrug: I'd rather just have the DIY... IMO it is the in-expensive alternative. Cheaper than ORD... :grin: :thumb:

j

16. ZooMad75

I guess I didn't make myself clear. It's not that I can't do it. Hell I installed the engine and lift without going to a shop. I guess I'm Lazy. I didn't have time to spend an afternoon drilling rivits and what not.

Hey I'm sorry for everybody that got the shaft from that guy, but the flip works. I was just posting up that someone with the talent and business savy could get the design back on the market it would sell. Still having 3 different types out there for sale could mean that there is enough product out there as it is. Meaning, less of a market to put a new one out. who knows...

Echobit is still a sore subject around here, sorry for re-opening any wounds by suggesting somebody else use the design. Again it sucks what he did don't take it out on me. I'm just a cheapskate that bought mine used for $50 so I could save me some time on installing my lift. Had I not found them used I would have saved up for some ORD's.

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

id really like to get a flip that would give me 6" lift...wish it was still around. wonder if kert could make one up to net 6" using most of what he already makes???

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Well, it sounds like you guys want me to build something! Can somebody post a picture or two to refresh my memory on the set up. I'll take a look at it and maybe put a little of my own spin on things.

19. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

is there anyway to make ur current system work to do 6" lift?

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

It would require new front spring mounts as well as the rear mounts. Flipping the shackle is good but if you get carried away with the mount on only one end of the spring you can easily get to the point where pinion angle can become problematic.