Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ECHOBIT FLIP????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AK-5GUY, Mar 6, 2003.

1. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

SORRY FOR THE LENGTH
    I want to get a 4" suspension lift with a good ride and good flex. I think the way to go is a shackle flip. Originally, I thought the way to go would be an offroad design shackle flip. But after I heard of how much easier an Echobit flip is to install, and its price, I thought perfect! But I still may have a problem. The Echobit flip, unlike the offroad design flip, gives 5 3/4 inches of lift. The Echobit site said that the stock springs will sag, and with a full tank of gas, the top on, and some gear in it, it should sit level with the front with 4" springs. This sounds great and easy, but, with 5 3/4 inches of lift, depending on just how much my truck is sagging, I may have to lengthen the driveshaft, lower the t-case, and measure angles. I do not want to get into any of this at all costs!
    My question is: Have any of you put the Echobit shackle flip on your blazer, and did you have to lengthen the drive shaft, or do anything like that? I want to know so I can decide whether or not to order this lift over the offroad design one. (I don't want to waste money on something that won't work, when I could have gone offroad design all along.) I would really like the Echobit lift because of the huge price difference, and the ease of installation. Let me know. Thanks.
    Harrison

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I am contemplating the same lift because of the same reasons, and I can tell you one thing.
    I have a 2.5" all spring lift and I have longer driveshafts. The stock ones could have worked but I was planning on lots of flex so I didn't want to take the chance.
    4" you will need longer driveshafts anyway you go, wether with the echobit at 5+ or the ORD 4".
    And if you order a driveline for a 4" it will work with either lift.
    I am going with the echobit.
    I don't want to drop the tank and spend hours taking the rivets off.
    If the Echobit wasn't so cheap I would make one just like it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. AK-5GUY

Im gonna back up here and before I rule out lengthening the driveshafts alltogether, I would like to know some facts about it. With a 4" lift, do you need to lengthen the front and rear driveshafts? How exactly is it done? How much does it cost? If its cheap/easy, I may consider, but definitely no lowering the transfer case or adding shimms or anything. Thanks alot.
    Harrison

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

How much do you wheel and what kind of wheeling do you do? This will dictate the necessity of driveshaft modifications.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I just put on my echobit flip about 4 weeks ago, and I aboslutely love it. I had it together in about an hour including taking out my 4 inch blocks. But I will tell you this. I had 5 inch suspension up front, (4 from springs, and 1 from hill shackles.) After I added a 3 degree shim to put the pinion angle down I was still about 3/4 to 1 inch higher in the rear. That kinda bothered me so I made some zero rates that night and after a 4 degree shim up front with zero rates I know sit slighlty higher in the front. So essentially the flip gave me about 5 and 3/4 inches, but with that shim that added a 1/2 inch. I have a 700R4 mated to a NP208, and I did not have to lenghthen my driveshaft. And just last weekend I had my truck about 4 feet in the air and the driveshaft didnt pop out so Im happy. I love the flip so easy to put in, cheap, and it rides sooooooo much better in the rear now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. AK-5GUY

I will be doing mud, and rocks like the hard trails at uwharrie, 4-mile loop, and maybe try to hit tellico sometime too. The truck will also be my daily driver. Hope that helps. Thanks
    Harrison

7. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

My first blazer had 7" of lift, and for a while I was fine with stock length driveshafts. The rear had a CV shaft at the transfer case end, otherwise I would have gotten mad vibes on the freeway. The t-case was dropped about an inch and a half. Id say that you could definitely get away with leaving the front alone with 4" in the front. The rear is probably going to need at least a CV shaft just because of the vibration youll get otherwise, and once youve gone that far it would be stupid not to pay the extra 60 bucks to have it lengthened as well.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was one of the first to buy the Echobit flip. Mine is on a swb pickup.

I have 6" Superlift front springs and longer shackles in front and my truck still sits ass-high. You're going to need more than 4" springs to make it sit level.

And if you don't want to mess with angles and driveshafts, don't get a shackle flip. It will make your driveshaft angles go nuts. My pinion angle is actually negative.