Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ecm Reprogramming

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChickenRammit, Jan 8, 2006.

1. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wheres A Good Place To Take The Ecm From My 1999 Vortec To Get The Anti-theft(passlock) Feature Disabled? I Live In Socal, Is There Anywhere Local To Me That Anyone Knows Of?

2. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

When I did my TBI swap, I sent the ECM to Speed Scene Wiring in San Antonio Texas. The motor had come from a 93 Yukon auto tranny, and went into my 73 K20 manual trans. They reprogrammed it for my specs and when I got it all installed, it started right up, and I have not had a problem. I am sure they could help you, but sorry, I don't know of anyone local.

3. ChickenRammit

WHAT GAS TANK AND FUEL PUMP DID YOU USE? I'VE BEEN TOLD TO USE A GAS TANK OUT OF A 1987 OR NEWER BLAZER AND TO USE A CAMARO TPI FUEL PUMP. I HAVE THE FUEL PUMP FROM THE 1999 DONOR VEHICLE, DO YOU THINK IT WOULD WORK WITH AN '87 BLAZER GAS TANK?

4. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

I did this swap into a 73 Fullsize 3/4 ton. It had the old style saddletanks, very dangerous IMO. I know a fab guy here in Fresno and had him build me a 45 Gallon tank to fit behind the rear axle. I went with a NAPA external fuel pump. My reasoning is that it can be replaced in the field (I carry a spare) while you would have to drop the tank to get the internal pump out. However, I have heard that the external ones don't last as long as the "in tank" style. The external pump I used is NAPA part #P5001. My tank does hang down very low, and I think that will be a problem. Are you using the 87 tank in your vehicle now? If so, I would just go with that. I only went the external route because I put in an entirely new tank.

5. ChickenRammit

No My K5 Is An '86 So I'm Running The '86 Tank, But '87 Is When Gm Began Fuel Injecting The Blazers So I'm Gonig To Get An '87 Tank Because The '86 Won't Support An Internal Pump. I'm Told The External Ones Are Kind Of Loud And, Like You Said, They Don't Last As Long. How Did You Route Your Air Intake. I Want To Try And Route Mine To The Original Cold Air Source Near The Fender. I Was Just Wondering If You Did That And What Types Of Fittings You Used.

6. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

That narrows our disscusion. If the 86 will not support the internal fuel pump, and you must have that setup, then the 87 tank is the way to go. Someone else on this forum will know if the 87 tank will fit in your 86 rig. I don't know. However, I have not had any problems with my NAPA external pump yet, although I have minimum mileage on my rig. It is not loud. My dual Flomasters and just truck and road noise mask any pump noise. I would not worry about that. Also, my original 80 truck had three fuel lines: Feed, return, and vent. For simpilicity, you could buy the external pump, and use the 3/8 feed, 5/16 return, (located on the frame adjacent to the block mounted fuel pump) and leave the vent as is. Check first, but I bet your 86 has the three lines. You could plumb in the external pump and see how it goes. Then you wouldn't have the expense and agravation of a complete tank swap. You probably would have coin left over to carry the extra pump for piece of mind. I have not routed the intake yet, but plan to use dryer duct material from Home Depot and just hose clamp it from the air cleaner to the radiator support inlet. Let me know how it goes!

7. ChickenRammit

I Really Appreciate All Of Your Input. As I Come Accross More Snags, I Hope You Don't Mind Me Asking You A Few Questions Here And There. By The Way, Were You Pretty Happy With The Power Gains You Got From Your Engine Swap. Sounds Like You're Still Finishing Her Up.

8. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

I will be glad to help as much as I can. Feel free to PM me. I am learning as I go here, but so many have been helpful, and there are a lot of really knowledgeable guys on this site. Yes I am just getting done, but I am really happy with the route I've taken. I am not into really big horsepower for my rig, so the reliability of the Throttle Body Injected 350 suits me. Its not so much an issue of power gain, but smooth throttle response, no crapping out at higher (mountain) altitudes or angles, and fuel economy over the Qjet. By the way, I am running a manual Sm465 w/Np205 transfer case. I get good highway performance with 4:10 gearing and 35 inch tires. But the 465 low gear is adequate for my needs off road. I like this combination.