Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ecmb circuitry

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nerraw117, Jul 9, 2006.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

ok here is how is starts. i had this bad problem of the the starter hanging up when i would try and start my truck. it was kinda like the engine was bogging down and when i would pull the key, the starter would freespin, so i would have to remove the battery cables. so now if i remove the ecmb fuse or the fuel pump relay it starts fine if i put gas in it, (it does not bog down, turns over normally, no bogging no freespinning). does it sound like the oil pressure switch? fuel pump relay or something else wrong in the circuit? btw i am getting gas.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a starter motor problem. The free spinning is either the gear spinning and not throwing in, to engage your flex plate/flywheel or you have teeth missing off of your flexplate/fly wheel.
    The starter groaning and struggling is probebly bad connection/poor armature in the starter or maybe a bad earth on the motor.

3. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

but how could that tie into the ecmb circuitry? i dont think its coincidence that if you unplug that circuitry then it works fine. its a new starter and it did it with the old starter also.

4. southernspeed

It just sounded like a very familiar starter problem. Just throwing ideas at ya!

5. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

oh thank you man, i wasnt getting any attitute or anything. i apologize. i am just at witts end on this thing, you have no clue how bad i want this tihng to run again.

6. southernspeed

That's cool, didn't mean anything by it. I know where your coming from though, I've been wrenching on mine for months, some serious stuff then take it for a test ride and the trans is messing about! Man I DO NOT want to take that trans out AGAIN!!!

Good luck.

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you think its the ecmb link then why couldn't you power that wire from a different source? What I'm saying is cut the ecmb wire on the firewall side and hit it with another power source. That circuit may be screwed. I know I've found "bad" sides of fuse boxes where they would make other stuff screwy.

8. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

good idea john thx. so i basically just find the ecmb wire, and power it with another wire as close to where all the wires tie into eac other before the fuse box?

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Hook up a remote push button for the starter and see what happens.Borrow one from a mechanic with the clips. If the starter acts normal with the push button, then start tracing wires, and check ignition switch.
    Personally, I would spend about 30 minutes trying to trace the problem before I hard wired a push button for the starter.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you saying that now the starter doesn't act up?

Starter is in no way shape or form controlled by the ECM, so it's probably more than one issue.

Sounds to me like one of the issues is that the injectors aren't firing, have you confirmed that?

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Injectors are getting an impulse to fire via a NOID light.

Its weird, when you try to start it with either the fuel pump relay hooked up, or the ECMB fuse in, it turns over slow, bogs down, starter sticks.

Remove one of those two items, and it spins like a top, but of course, without getting gas (because one of those fuel system components are removed), it wont fire.

12. dyeager535

Are the injectors leaking,flooding the engine?

How is the battery condition?

13. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

not sure on injectors flooding engine or not.
    the battery is questionable also. i am using a regular battery and a optima red top for all of these tests.

14. dyeager535

Too low system voltage during cranking can/will prevent the injectors from firing.

Make sure all connections are good, battery, grounds, etc.