Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ECWS military jacket on ebay...again

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 4, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay thinking about getting one of these because they are inexpensive from ebay, and with a fleece they can be rather warm, suposedly.

Does this look like a good candidate?

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLD-WEATHER-CA...goryZ588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thinking about a medium-regular because my chest is 38", and my height is 70 inches. Does the size they list account for room for layering fleece and other garments underneath? Or would I be better off getting a size larger?

Here is the fleece:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLD-WEATHER-JA...goryZ588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this be warm enough for the winter in 20* farenheit or colder/warmer weather? its NOT for hiking or anything like that, as someone noted it is heavy. Mainly just for working outside, 4wheeling, and camping.

Besides the fleece, would I need any more layers besides an insulated t-shirt or regular T shirt?

Thanks...going to dig up my othe thread for reference.

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Steve, get some REAL cold weather gear.... the stuff you are looking at is designed for upper teens/lower 20s (Fahrenheit) and will not keep you warm in Wisconsin's climate, let alone Canada's. =) Honestly though, if I could afford to buy all my gear again from the Marine Corps, I would do so in a heartbeat. I love that stuff... comfortable and well made.

There is better gear out there for the true cold weather enthusiast, for similar prices, you just have to know where to look. For instance, Major's Surplus and Survival has stuff from multiple cold weather militaries, such as Swiss, Norweigan, Russian, and U.S. Military. They have good prices, and decent quality "used" or "unissued" (means it's pretty worn out but never worn) gear. I have bought a plethora of things from them including the Swiss Military wool suit for when I really need to stay warm at Deer Camp. Speaking of deer camp... it's about time to start talking about hunting.

Anyway, Major's isn't the best, or the only surplus shop on the web, you just gotta look, and you'll always find something you want or even stuff you need to stay warm or cool as the case may be.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Looked on the site, has quite a few nice, inexpensive items. Couldn't look at too much though, either my internet didn't agree, or his site is real slow.

Anyone else?

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Site is dead slow.... I couldn't look at stuff after I tild you about it yesterday... he'll get it working again soon though.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright I will wait a bit to see how the site is before I decide on anything.
    thanks

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Stave, seriously, wear two t shirts, a sweatshirt, and a windbreaker

I live in SD and never ever ever wear a jacket thicker than a normal flak or my bathrobe of death thanks to the magic of layering

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd be a bit leery of that jacket on ebay. The "DRMO" stamp on the jacket is a big red flag. I wouldn't want one that's been ripped and sewn up, which isn't mentioned in the description, only the zippers.

That is a good price for one though, doesn't look like it's been used a lot. Typically they fade from wash and wear, that one hasn't lost a whole lot of color.

As long as you aren't getting wet, something that doesn't let wind through is good enough. (when layered as mentioned) Those jackets aren't warm, not designed for that. Just block the wind and most water. Waterproof/resistant is nice when it's raining though!

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

May just get it for a shell since its cheap, and stuff it in the new toy for camping etc.
    I dont know.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

don't need spendy bling chit to stay warm... thats all marketing from northface / REI / columbia etc etc. When it gets chill here, I throw on an old military t-shirt (snug fitting and thin), a heavy mock t-neck long sleeve t-shirt, fleece with high collar, my old flight gloves and my Swiss army 100% wool coat. Add my insulated full leather Danner boots (Ft. Lewis style) and a decent/cheap stocking cap and you're ready for pretty much anything down to 0 degrees... lower for shorter periods.

j

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

HOOBOY, is that FUNNY!!!!!!!!

11. jekbrown

:mad:

j

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just figured out why you stay warm........

It must have something to do with that hippy hair you have covering your melon!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

13. jekbrown

ok, now I'm getting pissed. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:grin: :laugh:

j