Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

edelbrock 1406 dies on hills

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, Oct 7, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I just put a new edelbrock 1406 on my 85 chevy k20. I went out wheeling tried to climb some steep hills. The truck would die and was very hard to start. I've heard you have to modify these carbs for offroad use. What do I have to do to make it work? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I believe what you need is a jet kit, someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

3. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

yes you are right they sell a off-road needle and seat kit that will prevent the carb from stummbling . i dont know why they wont put them in there to start with

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I did the needle kit and it still stalled on hills. You probably dont want to hear this, but the best thing I did with that carb was take it off and go EFI.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Either that or try and go back to Q-Jet, they are much better for off road, I know I have been through this, and all the magazines did the tests and they say, not the best power but the best off camber...
    IceMan

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey if you want to get rid of the Edelbrock cheap I will take it! I need a new base for mine. LOL
    I love mine... of course I dont have many really off camber stuff here so it works fine for me.

Mike

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah edelbrocks are fine in flat lands, mud, snow...
    They produce more power than the Q-Jet.
    Another new kid on the block is the Holley Truck avenger, it's engineered for off camber situations and has been tested professionnally and was said to be everything the manufacturer claims and more, and for under $400 it's a bargain. Not as much as a JY carb but to EFI...
    IceMan

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check this site...I recently did these mods but haven't had a chance to test them out on the trails yet.

http://www.ih8mud.com/

Rene

9. 85chevy4x4

Thanks for the link to the site. There was lots of good info there. I guess I'm going to buy the spring loaded needle and seat kit and try that. Thanks for the help guys. I'll order one today and as soon as I get it installed I'll post back the results.

10. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

I've got a 1400 series carb with the dyno matched 3701 intake(egr) and it stumbles when I drive it. Even on the freeway it will do it. Is this an adjusment issue. When I bought the carb and bolted it on it ran like a champ and the secondaries would kick in and I would feel it. I had it tuned by a smog guy and it has ran poorly ever since. Any suggestions? I hate to post this in another persons thread but I figured as long as we're on the same topic it shouldnt be too bad.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That's your mistake, never let a smog guy tune your carb /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    It was fine out of the box.
    IceMan

12. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

I got a 1406 to, mine has a slight stumble but only intermentant(think thats spelled right) the two screws in the front ? are those needle adjustments? one for primary and the other secondary??? newbie to jetting these carbs, good on quads though, ha ha.

13. tRustyK5

The two screws on the front are your idle mixture screws. The needle and seats are under the float assemblies. The jets are under the bottom of the metering rods...

A slight stumble could be an accelerator pump not dialed in right or ???. The secondaries could also be opening much too early.

Rene

14. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

where do you adjust the accelorator pump?

15. tRustyK5

There are three holes the accelerator pump rod can be attached to. Each hole provides a different pump stroke...so you just need to experiment a little.

Rene

16. 85chevy4x4

I just got my parts for my carb. The guy at the parts store suggested I buy a calibration kit. It has 5 pairs of metering rod springs, 3 pairs of jets, 3 pairs of rods, and one pair of metering rod retaining springs. It doesn't have any spring loaded needles or seats in the kit. Can I use the stuff in this kit to make my carb offroad friendly? Did I just buy something I don't need? Should I just get the spring loaded needles and seats and return this thing or is it a good tuning kit? The kit number is #1487. I payed 40 bucks for it at oreilly auto parts.

17. tRustyK5

The kit you bought will allow you to tune that carb to your motor set-up in all ranges from idle through cruise as well as WOT. It's a decent kit to have if the motor is fairly modified. The 1406 fresh out of the box should be nearly perfectly set for a mild 350 though.

The kit that helps for off road performance is the spring loaded needle and seat.

Rene

18. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i bought the off-road kit for my 1406 and it helped mine so much, it was pathectic off-road on any incline, now i haven't stalled it once and i have had it pretty off camber, much much better and for around 8 bux way worth it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I did this too... I love the 1406 except when I tried to climb hills. I got the spring and needle seat "off-road kit" helped some...

Then I got a pressure regulator - the cheap kind where you can dial in the pressure from 1 to 6. This helped the most.

Then I got some crap in the carb jets. I started to run fuel-injection type filters.

This carb STILL flooded out on hills. IF you take the carb apart you will see there is a gap between the fuel chamber and the secondaries (mnaybe the primary butterfly vents). When you go on a hill the gas literally spills into the intake!
    This is how you get flooded on hills. IT works fine going down hill!

I tried making a gasket to seal the fuel chamber from the intake, I couldn't get it to work...

So, I finally went fuel-injection!

Been happy ever since.

Good luck.