Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock 1406 idle/choke question! HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86haubs, Feb 21, 2006.

1. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Okay so I changed my oil pressure s/u this weekend because my gauge was pegged at 60psi all the time. The new s/u didn't fix the problem. I noticed while I was changing it there is a "Y" fitting on my intake where my s/u hooks up. There is another s/u on the truck. Why is there 2, I am guessing a screw up by the P/O. So I unhooked the second one, the one I did not change and the gauge works as advertised. Now my choke light has been on constantly for the past 2 days. How possible is it that the s/u I unhooked was the one to turn off the choke and the other one is for my gauge. I can not have them both hooked up at the same time because then the gauge doesn't work. On top of the the cam for the choke which rest against the fast idle screw will not go up far enought for my throttle to sit at normal RPM. I have to get out and manually move it out of the way. What are the chances I have 2 different problems or is this the same problem?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm tired, so short reply: One is a SWITCH (choke) one is a SENDER (Gauge)

Both should see pressurel from same location, so one should not have any effect on the other.

3. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I am thinking that one switch is somehow canceling the other out. Is that possible, I just don't understand how this possible. As far as the carb is concerned, I think I will throw it away!!:confused: I am just so fed up, I can not figure it out. HELP!!

4. dyeager535

As wired by GM, the switch will not affect the sender, and vise versa.

The sender is a single wire, the switch is two IIRC, is that what you have now?

You don't even really need the switch for the choke (you can run it off of ignition 12V) BUT if your gauge doesn't work, there is another issue that should be fixed and is obvious.

5. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Yes the sender I replaced only had the one wire. I even looked at my wiring diagrams, thats why I think it is some kind of setup by the P/O. But the one next ti it has 3, I believe. What do you mean the switch is a IIRC? Let me see about maybe getting a picture.

6. dyeager535

IIRC=If I remember correctly.

I've never dealt with them, but the oil pressure switch used on trucks with no gauges, just idiot light, I believe can also be one wire, but not sure of the behavior on a gauge with that switch. It's not uncommon for one to be sold in place of another. The actual sender is somewhat bell shaped, quite large.

7. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I just took some pics and added them to my webshots, here is the link: http://community.webshots.com/user/indy500ss
    Maybe I worded my post wrong, or went on about the oil pressure for too long, but the real problem I am having is with the choke staying on all the time.

8. dyeager535

Ok, focusing on choke.

Is that an electric choke model or not? (I know nothing but Qjets)

Assuming electric:

As long as it has power when the truck is running, the coil should open the choke as far as it will go, if there is some adjustment to it, that would be where I'd start. You might do some searching on here for edelbrock and electric chokes as well.

Pictures taking forever to display, but if you've got the first one labeled right, it's not electric choked.

9. dyeager535

by the way, looking at your sender picture, pretty hard to tell what you've got. But that "sender" to me looks like it's the right piece, as the diameter above the wrench flats is pretty large. The other one would be the choke switch then. That Y is probably the factory piece.