Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock 1406 or 1901

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arq, Jul 16, 2001.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i think it's time to retire the original Q-jet, too much play on the primary shaft. i was considering going with an Edelbrock replacement. i have heard that the 1406 has problems with heat, that would be a major problem for me since i spend a lot of time in 100+ temps. Is the 1406 that bad?? Then again i like the Q-jet(1901), it's great.
    Has anyone compared the gas mileage on these?? Or are the compareable. at one time i was getting close to 15mph on my old Q-jet.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I have the 1406 on one of my BBCs and it sucks! It does not like the heat, hard braking or even hard cornering without trying to stall. I have an insulated spacer between the carb and intake and my engine generally runs no hotter than 200*. This carb also does not like to be off camber or too steep of a hill. Find a Qjet or FI for your engine.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just stick with the Q-jet. They are simply the best carb for all around use in a GM 4x4.
    The 1400s have a lot of problems in the hills mainly due to fuel slosh and flooding. Even the off road kit dosn't always help a lot. They also may require a adapter plate and some tuning to make them run their best on a stock manifold.

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

4. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

iM RUNNING A 1407 RIGHT NOW AND AM THINKING OF INSTALLING THE Q-JET BACK ON.WILL IT BOLT UP TO THE PERFORMER RPM MANIFOLD AND WILL IT HELP OR HURT THE HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE?

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i'm sold on the 1901, does anyone know if there's electric choke made for it??

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

6. FWP

FWP CRS

I believe it's a 1902, electric choke.

<a target="_blank" href=http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com>fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com</a>