Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock 1901 Q-jet fuel inlet size

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

What size and style is the fuel inlet on the 1901 Edelbrock q-jet? I'm going to bend up a hard line for this carb rather than cheesing it with a rubber line... I'm sure that I could research to figure out what size it is, but I know that someone knows off the top of their head.:D

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I've been trying to figure this out for 2 days now, I can't beleive that nobody knows! I don't feel like such a dummy now for not knowing myself...:crazy:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This may be a dumb question, but why not go get one from GM?

I don't know how much they run, but I checked the part number out for the steel line awhile back, and it was still a valid part number.

If I can find the part number posted, I'll post it here.

Hmm, guess I could never find it in my GM parts manual.

Could always try LMC as well.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Because I live in a small town with crappy auto parts stores annd teeny tiny small town dealers that don't keep anything in stock. I can bend my own line just as easily, at least I could if I could figure out what size and style the damn fitting is. It's a simple flippin part to make, I'm completely flabbergasted that nobody knows this and I can't find the info anywhere on the web. There's got to be 20 million of these carbs out there.

The main thing I need to know is the style of the fitting, it looks like some type of flared fitting, but I don't know the angle or the the thread style. It's easy to find out the size of the actual inlet, those are 7/8"x20tpi for 74 and earlier, 1"x20tpi 75 and later. But there's a fitting that screws into that that has the filter in it. That fitting is female and has a flare in it, but the flare is backwards of what a normal compression fitting has, it looks like a really ibg brake line fitting. It may be a 37 degree flare, if it is then I have the tool to make that flare on tubing. I remember that my old q-jet had a flared metal tube that was screwed into the part like a brake line screws in. I have a brass piece that is probably from the old one, but no tube anymore.

Screw it, I'll just go to the hardware store with my carb like a dope and sift through their fittings. I hate it when I have to do that. Plus dragging a pristine and freshly rebuilt carb all over hell and back is a great way to F it all up.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

WhaT model????

1901??--is that a Q-jet Edelbrock #??--I know the performer series (1904,1905,1906,) have a weird thread on the fuel inlet fitting,(5/8-20 i think?)I had to shell out ten bucks for one at a speed shop,no parts store had anything even close,and we have some well stocked ones too----glad I didnt need the "banjo" style one,it was even more!....if yours is a Q-Jet style carb,would a GM fitting work??--most GM carbs used regular 5/16 or 3/8 steel line,with a 1/2x20 thread for the 5/16,and 9/16x18 on the 3/8 line....

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Never mind, I found it, it's a 3/8" inverted flare. I gave up and called Edelbrock. Same fitting as brakes, just a bit bigger. Now I need to find a place that will sell me 3 feet of tubing instead of a full 25 foot roll.:p:

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

All the parts places have sections of tube with fittings you can buy. From like 6" all the way to 6' in some cases. Just have to ask. Sometimes it isn't out on display.

On a side note, if you weren't too damn proud to take your carb with you to the autoparts place, you would have been done with this issue alooong time ago. :grin:

I haven't checked for ya yet cause I haven't been to my "shop" yet today.:crazy:

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Pride has nothing to do with it, I just don't need some booger-eating greasemonkey that doesn't know how to wash his hands fondling my carb right after he handled some other filthy part and getting schmutz on/in my nice clean carb, or worse, bending something on it... Besides, I only got the carb back last Friday so I couldn't have brought it into a store if I'd wanted to.:D

diesel4me, yes, it's an Edelbrock q-jet, freshly rebuilt by Jet. I need the stock GM size, I can't find the one that came off my truck when I put the Edelbrock Performer carb on it. That carb was easy, since it was documented what I needed I just ordered the funky banjo fitting at the same time as the carb.;)