Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock cam question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geno, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Geno

Geno Registered Member

I put a performer cam in my freshly rebuilt 350, To put it mildly it is a dog, disappointed in the performance is an under statement. My question is, do you have to use edelbrock timing chains with their cams? When looking at their Web site it says DO NOT USE STOCK TIMING CHAIN under each cam. They list different part numbers on chains for different cam sizes, was wondering if they grind their timing gears to work with their cams? The guy that built the motor is a respected builder around here, he said he put in a roller chain and degreed it, should not be a problem, so I called the tech. for edelbrock He said with a stock chain I would not be able to advance it enough to make it work right, I tried to advance, it did run better but pinged badly. Have any of you had any experience with this?? Thought I would ask before I tore into my new motor. Any help would be appreciated. :ears I know there could be other reasons for the performance problems but not sure what, have put in new distributor HEI , and carb works good. Q-JET.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    He said with a stock chain I would not be able to advance it enough to make it work right, I tried to advance, it did run better but pinged badly.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The tech was talking about advancing the CAM, not advancing the spark timing. Advancing the cam requires a timing chain with multiple keyways, and you'll have to remove the timing cover to make the change. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Most of Edelbrocks Performer cams are pretty mild, and they have a very limited selection. A real cam company, like Crane or Comp Cams will have an extensive selection, as well as tech lines that will ask lots of questions about your vehicle and its intended uses before they recommend a particular grind. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Geno

Geno Registered Member

Thank you for your info, should of looked into this alittle farther, before buying a cam, just thought matching the intake to the cam made sense. If all fails I will buy a different cam set and go from there. anyone else?? with a comment?? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I just built a small block with a comp xtreme energy cam and when degreeing it in, I found that it was like 25* off. Called Comp and sure enough, gotta use a different timing set. So, I got the set and BAM it was right on... almost like it was planned that way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Ryan