Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock carb, fast idle adjustment question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, May 28, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a brand new Edelbrock Performer (750 CFM) carburetor, and I was wondering if anybody is familiar with adjusting the “fast idle” for the choke? It is idling too high when the choke is on. I would like to get the fast idle down to about 1000 RPM. I have the Owner’s Manual, which came with the carb, but it only shows which screw to turn, in order to adjust it, but not which way to adjust it. Does anybody know if I am supposed to turn the screw out to lower the Fast Idle RPM’s, or in?

2. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

I would like to know as well mine revs a little high for likin.I always just give it a good stomp when it fires up.

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

IF what your talkin about is what im thinking, then on the choke there are 3 screws holding in the black electric choke thing. Loosen them and adjust the black thing to either richen the choke mixture. This should lower your idle speed.

4. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Mines the screw on the right hand side, not the drivers side. Clockwise goes faster, counterclockwise goes slower. It is a pain to get at.....
    George

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yes, it's the screw, usually under the choke adjustment area, not the choke adjustment itself,,,

6. 1-ton

Since my Carburetor is an Edelbrock Performer (Carter), and not a Q-jet, it is on the left side. One thing that sucks about adjusting the Fast Idle is that I only have one shot to do it, and then I have to wait until the engine cools down to ajust it again.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You live in L.V. Nevada??? does it really get that cold to use a choke??

I have never had mine closed for choking purposes,

and not really, you can adjust it fairly quickly while the engine is still cool, not THAT hard of a thing to do.

8. 1-ton

That is the problem. Because the weather is so warm here, the choke kicks off immidiatly, as soon as the throttle is touched. Since I have to put the throttle in the wide open position to adjust the Fast Idle, it kicks the choke off. If the Fast Idle is not adjusted where I like it, then I have to wait again until it cools off, which takes a couple of hours, before I can adjust it again.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't think you understood what i was asking, if the fast idle is kicking off as soon as you get in it, because of the temp outside, you really don't need the choke,,,,in the warmer climate.

Basically i was saying with mine, i have never had the choke operational on my carb'd vehicles out here, because there was no real need for it... :D

10. 1-ton

I have the choke adjusted to barely kick on. The choke is supposed to have a door clearance of 1/16", but I have it adjusted at twice that amount 1/8", so it is only engaged for a few seconds before it kicks off.

Anyway, I messed around with the Fast Idle adjustment, and I got it where I want it now.