Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock carb help Please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81K5GUY, May 17, 2006.

1. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

Let me start this off by saying that I openly admit to knowing little about carbs especially the Edelbrocks.I know a small bit about Holleys but that isnt saying much .I grew up in the efi years and until recently stayed with what I knew and plan to convert the Blazer over to a Holley pro-jection kit as soon as I get the $.With that being said heres my problem.I leave work tonight and the truck is running fine I go to make a left hand turn and the truck cuts off.It fires right back up and I clear it out with a few revs and am back on my way.I get maybe a 1/4 mile down the road on a straight section of road and once I level out in drive at about 55 mph it cuts off again.I pull over and try to crank it and it sounds like its flooded.I open the hood and pull off the air cleaner and see fuel standing on the butterflies for the primaries and hear what sounds like fuel pumping itself in to the carb.I have a clear fuel filter right by the carb and could actually see the fuel moving through the filter towards the carb without the engine running.I crack the primaries by hand and the fuel falls down into the intake all the while I am still hearing this pumping sound like fuel flowing into the carb.So I decided to give the bowls a lil tap with my flashlight thinking that maybe something was stuck open letting the fuel in.Well after I did that the sound stopped and I turned the engine over for a while with the pedal to the floor and she finally cranked .It spitted and sputtered for a lil while and eventually cleared up and drove fine the entire way home.My ? is could this have been just a piece of trash that got in the carb and let fuel flow in with out the throttle being pushed or do I maybe have other problems that might rear its nasty head again while Im am on a backroad headed home and leave me stranded?The carb is a Edelbrock 600 cfm with a manual choke and I had about a half a tank of gas.Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to describe it in detail thinking maybe somebody could spot the problem .Thanks for the help

Bill

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Its sounds like one or both of the float bowl needles were sticking in the seat. They are easy to change as all you do is pull something like 10 screws from the top and get inside. Be sure to change the gasket. It would be a good time to upgrade to offroad needles and seats.

3. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

Thanks I was reading up on the off road kit when I searched before I posted my ?.I may try that. I changed the fuel filter today and sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb and put a bottle of carb cleaner in the tank.I also changed the plugs since all the gas that was run through the engine last night.Canged the oil while I was there too lol.It has run fine since last night even before the tune up.Hope it stays that way case I really hate to put any $ in the carb when I am wanting to swap to a pro-jection setup soon.

4. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

x2 on that and also change your fuel filters often. The Edelbrock 1400 carbs are VERY sensitive to dirt and yours is a common prob.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll take your carb if'n ya get rid of it later. I love them Edelbrocks!

6. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

I ll let you know Don ..it will prolly be around the beginning of next year.I got a few things planned for the winter.

7. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

If he doesn't want the e-brock I'll take it.........
    George

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've got an Edelbrock 1406 (electric choke, 600 cfm) for sale. It was run 1 year, and has the offroad needles and seats installed as well as a swivel fuel inlet, and extra horn gaskets, jets, and springs that go with it. All extra parts are new and in the original packaging. I am asking $185 shipped.

I have a post w/pics in the for sale section. Its like new. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159903

PM me for details.

9. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I need at least a 700cfm.......damm
    George