Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock Carb Mod?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DougK20, Mar 6, 2003.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Yesterday, I spoke to an Edelbrock tech about getting some small replacement parts for my 1406. He gladly mailed them out, no charge! (awesome company)

We were discussing off-roading with these carbs. He said, to keep it running steady at extreme angles I should remove the bowl cover and plug the back fuel passageway between the two floats. This will keep all the fuel from flowing to the downhill float and messing things up. He said to use some epoxy, or something, to plug it. I don't believe everything I hear. But, from a factory tech, I curious. Any experience? Will it work? Thanks in advance! Doug

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I wouldn't use epoxy for it, but you can use a piece of split tubing for it. This is a good page for mods that need to be made to the Edelbrock Carbs - http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/carter.html </font>

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Thanks! That's perfect! I couldn't even get up an RTI ramp without it dying. How was I going to conquer Hell's Revenge next week? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

He said to plug it completely? Really, I just pictured the split tube restricting the transfer. I can understand why to plug it off, the last time I flooded on an angle, the gas was pouring over the side. Maybe I will try it on my new 1405 next month.

Mike

5. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

The tech articles I could write if I had the time.......

But yeah. Edelbrocks flooding all the time off angle gets old in a hurry. That hose trick works, but it can and will come undone in the worst possible places. Something more permanent is in order. Scuff it up real good and use epoxy. Its best to do this with the secondary jets out and taped over /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Don't ask me how I know this /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The book he talks about is a good one for Carters/Edelbrocks. I've read it at least 3 times, and understand about 33 1/3% of it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

My biggest gripe with Edelbrocks has always been the secondaries opening too soon on heavy vehicles. Unlike the Rochester, there was no way to slow down the opening except welding (adding weight) to the two weights that control the opening rate. Now I see Edelbrock has finally done something about this with the AVS (?) carb. I'm going to buy one and try it out on my 383 when I get the Blazer road ready (fuely systems aren't cheap.)