Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock (carb) offroad kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by denver75k5, Jan 14, 2002.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Im getting kinda sick of my 350 dying at the top of steep hills!!
    I know EFI is the way to go but iI don't have the mula to get it.
    So , i was wondering if anyone is using the "offroad" kit for their
    Edelbrock Carb? Is it worth the money? Or what are some other temporary alternitives besides EFI?

Thanks
    TJ.......

" Wider IS Better!!!"coloradok5.com/gallery/albun51?&page=1

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I have one on my Holley 750 and it helped a bit. I still stall on really steep hills and often stall when the truck starts hobby-horsing over moguls and stuff.

IMO, the kit was not quite worth it. If you can, save the money on the kit toward a Q-jet.

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

4. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

how is this thing to install, i got the kit part #1465 and was wondering how hard to install. i don't know much about carbs at all.

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Edelbrocks are a real snap. The wohole carb is pretty simple to deal with and rebuild. I've never done an offroad kit but I can't see it being any worse.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Most people that have tried it didn't see any big improvements. As for the carb with the least problem the Quad is the way to go. I think it's the 1406 with electric choke is the one you want. its an emmisons model about duplicate for 79 but they seem to be the best for not stalling.
    I'm going FI when I can afford it if the newer style doesn't fix the problem. I have a used off a 79 that I'm going to put on. I NEVER had stall problems in My wifes 79. My 75 non emmisions will stall. The float bowls are a different shape and the newer models have a vapor recovery port. I think that's the key to why they seem to do the best. You will need to get a Air cleaner off about a 85. It will have a connection normaly used for the Air pump. That needs to have a vent line from the bowl vent run to it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I put the off road needle and seat kit in my 1406 but i havent tried it off road yet. It was a snap to install, just had to take off the top of the carb, unscrew the old ones, screw in the new ones, and check the float level, which i had to correct but its real simple. The kit only costs about $10 so its not a big hit in the wallet

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's