Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock Carb Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarine, May 15, 2003.

1. camarine

camarine Registered Member

Here we go again with this damn crate motor. I bought a new edelbrock 600 electric choke to go on my new crate. I am have problems tuning it. It said put on and go was that a load or what. Here is the problem. At idle it seems to backfire when you give it a little gas. Now I put it in gear and commence to go and all of a sudden it seems to "load up and begin choking down the engine. I have it running as lean as it can and have adjusted everything on it. Anyone know of any quick fixes??????????

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Sound's like it's running too lean, You'll have to fatten up the primary jetting, and maybe the needle's too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Quick fixes:
    Buy a used Q-jet
    Buy a street demon - They make a few carbs specific to GM crate motors
    TPI
    call JET performance and talk to them about it. give them your engine specs, etc... and see what they would do.

-Ryan

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It may be A timing problem That should be about enough carb for a smallblock the 1406 (Which is what I assume yours is since it has an electric choke ) is jettted pretty mild (suppose to be more of a stock replacement carb ) what size motor is it on ? cam? ,intake, exhaust ???

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Backfiring is a timing issue. I run an edelbrock performer 750cfm carb on my sb 350 (I believe it's #1706) with an electric choke and had no problems. The choke is very easy to set and the carb itself is a dream to calibrate. It is indeed a bolt in istallation but you still need to set your mixture screws. How much vacuum are you pulling? is it mechanical or vacuum secondaries I can't remember in that model. If you aren't pulling enough vacuum at throttle up the metering rods will not adjust and you'll need softer springs. Summit sells a tuning kit with different size metering rods, you would change a metering rod like changing a jet on a holley or q jet. The nice thing is all this tuning can be done with the carb mounted on the intake without dumping gas everywhere due to edelbrocks no gaskets below the fuel line design.

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep edelbrocks are great easy to tune and very reliable ......1405 600 cfm manual choke,1406 600 cfm electric choke ,1705 750 cfm manual choke ,1706 750 cfm electric choke,.... those are the ones I remeber summit listing Not a big fan of summit but they carry damn near every hing for these carbs /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif