Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock Carbs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, May 30, 2000.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Question for ya'll...I have a 78K5, and the guy I bought it from replaced the Q-jet with an Edelbrock carb. My question is this: The Edelbrock is a 600cfm, electric choke carb. How am I supposed to make the choke work if my 78 didn't come with any electronics? Or does the carb have something like a temp or timing control? Any info would be helpful. Thanks guys!

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The electric choke just needs to be powered up any time the engine is running. Most people just hook them up to a switched power source (on when the key is on). It is best to avoid a power source that is on in acc. and on, as you do not want your choke to open when you are sitting listening to the radio. Some people (and most factory installations) wire an oil pressure switch in the circuit so that the choke only operates when the engine is running, not any time the key is on.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well is it the Edlebrock Q-jet or the other one?
    As for how to make the choke work correctly. Hit the junk yard and find a 82-86 GM anything with a Quad. Follow the choke wire back to the oil pressure switch. Get that switch and the wire. Most have 3 wires the the extra one goes to the fuel mix control and won't be needed. The other one will go into the harness so get as much of it as you can. What this does is keeps the choke from reciving power till the engine is running (no oil presure no power to the choke). You can get away with just hooking it to the ignition but one cold day you will turn the key to on but not start and the choke will cycle and then the truck won't start.
    Works perfect. I basicly did this conversion to my Quad when I got the crate for my 79. The crate didn't have the intake that would work with the standard choke on a 79.
    Always starts with just the right amount of choke and always drops on it's own without having to blip the throttle.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I have this exact carb.The positve wire just goes too a IGN on poer source.The electric current heats a coil spring in the housing that graudally opens the choke.As for adjusting it's a matter of loosing the three screws the hold it on and rotating the housing.THe best thing too do is go to the Edelbrock web site and down load the full and complete manual.Thats what i did it contains all the info you'll need and the charts too properly do the jetting and needle settings.I have never had any problems at any angle with mine.Get the spring loaded neddle and seats.The stock ones are not spring load.And make sure it is jetted properly.Also i have experimented with fuel pressures and have found that you should not run over 5 Psi becuase sometimes it causes flooding.

5. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! That's the stuff I was looking for. I downloaded the manual from Edelbrock (don't know why I didn't think of that). And I'm going to buy a new pressure sensor with the correct wires. Thanks again.