Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

edelbrock carbs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by keeferk5, Nov 13, 2001.

1. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

I have an 85 k5 w/ mostly stock 4-bbl 350, and came across adeal on a edelbrock rpm manifold and a 650 cfm edelbrock performa carb. set up less than 1 year old used for 3 mo. for $110 just want some opinions on this set up.

My hotrod goes anywhere I want it to.

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

just a question, isn't the RPM for the higher rpm range?? You might want to find out the cruising range of the intake?? but, other than that, it sounds like a good deal!!

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html>http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html</a>

3. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

The RPM has an ideal power band between 1500 and 6500. If you go with this intake, make sure that you a have a cam that is big enough to match it. Otherwise, you may end up lacking in the low end department.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.
    82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust

4. jbissette

jbissette 1/2 ton status

It would be worth it even is you just use the carb. Sell the intake and buy a regular perfomer intake.

88 Chevy K1500, 350 TBI, TH700R4, 3" body lift, 33x12.50x15 Tires

5. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I personnaly really dislike the edelbrock carbs. They don't run off camber or cornering, don't like heat, have a tendency to bind the throttle linkage and like to stall on big bumps even when on the street. You've got a good price on the set up but you may get more headaches than you bargained for. If your Qjet is giving you problems I would just get it fixed instead. Just my .02

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

A lot of guys put the edelbrock performer carburetors down unfairly.
    My 1406 will take me up the steepest hillclimb I have in my area (no I don't live in Utah.)
    It doesn't hiccup, the throttle cable is fine, and I don't corner very fast due to the fact that it's a truck, but it does fine for me.
    I think some people just hear that these carbs are junk and then repeat it as if it is fact (not accusing anyone here.)
    On the other hand, a GOOD-CONDITION quadrajet has a higher potential cfm rating, will allow steeper hillclimbs (steeper than what I have available to me here) and might even give better mpg due to smaller primaries.
    My situation when I bought the edelbrock was that I could barely afford the $225 for the edelrock and simply could not afford a $450 1904 Quadrajet. If I didn;t have anything, I think I would spend the extra dough and get a qaudrajet now that the finances are a little better.
    As far as rebuilding a junkyard quadrajet - I have heard from numberous people on this site that they have done it with good results. I at one point had four quadrajets in the tool shed and all had worn throttle bushing (not a DIY repair) and ran liek crap even after being rebuilt. I could be really unlucky, but that was my experience. I was tired of f***ing with it.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I was in the same situation...bad bushings on a Q-jet and I couldn't afford the 1904 so I bought the Edelbrock 1406. I have been mostly happy with the carb, in fact it has way better throttle response on the street. I have had it stumble, load up and stall but I have lots of steep stupid stuff to play on so another Q-jet or FI is in the works for me sometime in the future. As hard as I can corner my truck I've never had a problem though...and I've never had a heat problem with the Edlebrock, unlike my Holley I had that would boil the fuel everytime you shut it off.

I'm going to try a reman Q-jet soon...hopefully they re-bush them before sending them out.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have the Performer intake and 650 CFM carb. It sucks on any kind of angle and I had to add another spring under the linkage to get it to go down to 800 RPMs (if you have one spring in front it will stay around 1100), but I bolted it on and never had to mess with it like I did with the q-junk, even when I changed motors.

9. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i got the 1094 edelbrock. i didn't pay for it. it came on the truck. i'm having a hella of a time with it. i can't get it to stop flooding out.i have rebuilt it about 3 times in the past 3 days. each time it gets a little better but i still can't figure it out.

i blew my main seal.
    now my brain leaks

10. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I own one one the edeljunks on my 454. It has been nothing but a pain on anything but cool days being driven on good straight roads. I bought this carb because I couldn't justify the cash for the Qjet replacement and my vehicle needed a carb to pass emissions. I live in CO so perhaps these things work better at sea level (yes mine is jetted for altitude). I'm just posting my experience and the experience of a friend with this carb. It would be really nice if these things were more reliable as they are one of the most affordable options out there. Maybe it is just a quality control thing????

11. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I had a Quadrajet on my truck and it was running like crap. I rebuilt it twice myself and had a shop rebuild it once. In all 3 cases it worked good for about 2 weeks, then started doing the same thing. I finally bought the Edelbrock Performer 1405, and put it on. I have been running this carb for 8 yrs now, and have nothing but good things to say about it. The on-road performance is great, I have never had it stumble or heat up. Off-road response is great, and with the off-road needle and seat, it never bogs or stumbles on rough stuff. It will flood and stall out on steep climbs if it takes longer than 20 seconds or so to climb. Same for off camber stuff, if its leaning for more than 20 seconds or so, but it has to be a fairly good angle. The carb likes to be torn down and cleaned every 6 months or so, which is very easy and takes me about 1 1/2 hrs total. I mud bogged with this carb and it ran very impressively every time. I too am saving some pennies for a FI setup eventually, but till then I will run this one happily. I say go for it, that sounds like a good deal. Make your own judgement about the carb, but I would recommend you get rid of the RPM intake and get a Performer 2101. They are matched together for best performance.

Good Luck

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Edeljunk[​IMG],Ive got a 600cfm on mine and don't have any probs

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

13. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

Edelbrock=good q-jet=bad

14. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Got a buddy who runs a IDLEBROCK...thats it it'll idle on flat ground and thats all[​IMG], any kind of off camber left/right, front/back it sputters spews and shuts down, my quad will damned near run with the Knight laying on its roof, I've spent more time waiting on Edelbrock to get off a hill or trail than I care to remember, and I KNOW its gotta sux being the one with the IDLEBROKE!!!!! I stopped on a 45 degree incline and idled for about 15 minutes while we hooked up a tow strap and tree protector and a butt load of other stuff to get the Idlebroke of a hill...IMHO edelbrock makes a damned good flat land carb but for trails and hill work give me Fuel Injection or the good ole Quadrajet!!!!

<font color=blue>Veni Sancte Spiritus
    Da Pacem Cordium
    White Knight</font color=blue>

15. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have three q-jets for sale. 2 I know for sure work fine, (one is rebuilt), and the last one worked okay but flooded out every now and then. I will take 100 bucks plus shipping for the lot.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

16. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Most Qjets are rather old and have more than a few miles on them at this point. It is entirely possible that the throttle bushings are shot. This will make it impossible to rebuild properly as most folks can't fix this problem. The edeljunks are new. They should run well with no hassle. You mention in your post that it will flood if off camber for more than 20 seconds. This is not good. My Qjets did not do this. I also did not have to tear them down every six months to clean them. Based on your above and the fact that they don't like heat etc these are not good carbs. It also sounds like some of the edeljunks actually work as some people have no problems with them. I personaaly don't like having to hope that a product I buy will work. It should be a bolt on affair and forget it. I will eventually get rid of my edeljunk and TBI the truck. It runs well enough to drive on a daily basis (even towing) that I will keep it until my project vehicle is mobile. Then it will find a trash can.

17. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

It depends on how you drive your truck. Most of the people here that dog on Edelbrock go offroad all the time. If you aren't going to be 'wheeling 24/7, go for the Edelbrock. I drive my Blazer 99% on the street and love my Edelbrock 600. I think its great. I also had an Edelbrock 600 on a V8 Jeep I used to have and it was perfect too.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

18. jbissette

jbissette 1/2 ton status

My brother has an Edelbrock carb on his truck and it runs greats. He has installed an off-road spring kit or something like that in it and now it is fine on steep hills and stuff like that. He also has called Edelbrock a couple of times to help get it set up for our elevation and stuff. But now it pulls harder than ever. He loves it.

88 Chevy K1500, 350 TBI, TH700R4, 3" body lift, 33x12.50x15 Tires