Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

edelbrock carbs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gotmud77, Feb 5, 2004.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Anybody running these things? I am looking at the 1406 which is the 600 cfm with the electric choke. any info would be great. I have always run holleys and latley i have had nothing but trouble with mine. Just looking for a little advice.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an edel. 795cfm Q-jet and love it.

I know a few guys running 1406's on muscle cars and they seem like pretty good carbs.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i ran an Eddy 1405 on my TA, it is the same as the 1406 except it has manual choke. they hold a tune very well, and are so simple to tune that your grandma could probably tune one.

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I have that carb on my rig. Your gonna want to install the offroad needle & seat kit if you plan on wheelin hard core Part # 1465
    Bill

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I used one for awhile and it would stall on me , even with offroad needle and seat. If you must use a carb (like me) run a quality Q-jet and you will not be disappointed /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I ran one of those reliably for 5 years on my 79 Blazer, wheeled almost every weekend and drove daily. I am currently running the 750 cfm Edelbrock on my 472 and am okay with it but the 600's are more reliable and need no babying like other carbs do. I am also running a 600 Edelbrock on my 70 Camaro's 350 with zero issue's.

7. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

sweet thats what i wanted to hear. I am going to try and fiddle with the holley some more today at the shop but if i cant get it to come around i will just install the edel. and possibly the off road needle kit.

Thanks again,

8. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I have been running a 1406 for 5 years now. It's been great. These are the mods that need done for extreme off-roading. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I run the 1406 on my 79 K5, and it's a great carb, never have to mess with it...but it hasn't been so great on steep hills, seems like stalls almost every time, unless you really get on it. but they make a new performer rpm quadrajet 850cfm, part #1910, and I read a review in a magazine on it once...and they said it was great, ran at all angles, hitting bumps at speed...never stalled on them. I'm thinking about running one of these when I put my 454 in. has anyway else run these, or know if they're worth trying out?

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The 1406s are good carbs but dont perform off road very well unless modded like the link shows in DougK20s post.
    I have worked over a few Carter AFB/ Edl1406 style carbs. Even with the mods they still had flooding problems on long steep hill climbs. All though they can be made to work good off road they dont run as good as a properly set up Q-jet. In my opinnion the Q-jet is a superior carb. I always got better fuel milage from Q-jets too.

If you want to get the EDL 1406 style carb you might consider getting a Carter AFB it is the same carb as the 1406 but it already has the spring loaded needle and seats instaled.So you dont have to buy then extra.
    I like the Carter AFB carbs better than Edl 1406 carbs.
    They have been around a long time Carter orginally manufactured the AFB back in the 60s. Edlbrock bought the design from carter.
    Summitracing Carter AFB

11. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

beaterk20 you are wrong. The 1405 is set up for performance and has bigger primaries than the 1406 which is set up for gas milage. the secondaries are the same size however.

NITRO

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

1405- Comes with the following jets, rods and springs: Metering Jets: Primary .100, Secondary .095; Metering Rods: .070 x .047. Step-Up Spring: orange (5'' Hg)

1406- Comes with the following metering jets, rods and springs: Metering Jets: Primary .098, Secondary .095; Metering Rods: .075 x .047. Step-Up Spring: yellow (4'' Hg).

my bad, different primary jets and step up springs. other than that and the choke setup the carbs are identical, all parts are interchangable.

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have a 1405 on my 76. It's 6 years old, NEVER been rebuilt and has been on 4 different truck (so far!)And still works fine!! But has been on only street trucks. Never really offroaded with it.