Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Jun 22, 2004.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Ok, might me a stupid question, or very in depth.
    To make a long story short, i needed to replace my stock fuel pump and fuel line from the pump to the carb.
    Ive got the Edelbrock 1406 on my small block, and since my fuel pump needed to be replaced, i decided to go for the recommended Edelbrock fuel pump.

The pump, as ordered, will not clear the motor mounts...Can you believe, that these blazer motor compartments are concidered tight fitting???

Well, everyone is back ordered on this adapter plate, to allow the edelbrock fuel pump to clear the motor mounts.

Question is, is it worth the time to wait and the money to go with the Edelbrock fuel pump? Will it make much of a difference? I do know the stock fuel pump puts out too much PSI for the recomendations. Has anyone put it in, and would you do it again, or go for the stock, $20 fuel pump, and maybe a regulator?

Eddie

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Can't you clock that pump so that it will clear?

If I were you I'd send it back and just get a stock replacement...they work fine.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A stock fuel pump ($20.00 most part stores) and a fuel pressure regulator will fix you up fine.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Another quality "Adapt-A Brock" product--gee,youd think a chevy fuel pump wouldnt need an adapter--unless edelbrock made it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.It bet they make more money on adapters than their carbs and other products combined!.I like their carbs,so dont think I'm bashing them--just seems nothing they make bolts right on out of the box--I wonder if you need "aluminum head adaptors"when you run edelbrock heads? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ran into same problem when I put in the Crate motor. Ended up putting the edelbrock fuel pump up in the closet and buying a stock one and have been running it for a year or so now and don't have any problems.

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I installed an Edelbrock EPS intake and an Edelbrock Performer AVS Carb. and was considering installing the Edelbrock fuel pump as well. However, from looking at the clearance from the motor mount to the block it did not appear that one would fit so I installed a new stock unit.

I ordered a braded fuel line from Summit Racing. I also went to a local shop and picked up the correct fitting to convert the stock fuel pump female threads to a male compression fitting.

Works great and I have not had any excessive fuel pressure problems or any other for that matter.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

you dont need anything more than the stock fuel pump. I run one without a regulator to a 1408 on a BBC. No problems whatsoever. I would say it isnt worth the money.

NITRO

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

sorry to hijack but i just ordered a edelbrock carb and this is the first time i've heard that the stock pump puts outs too much psi. stock only puts out like 6 psi right? what does an edelbrock require?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry to hijack but i just ordered a edelbrock carb and this is the first time i've heard that the stock pump puts outs too much psi. stock only puts out like 6 psi right? what does an edelbrock require?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm no fan of Edelbrock products, but that's beside the point. If you run into a problem with too much fuel pressure, just put a fuel regulator in line before the carb.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

if i do have too much fuel pressure i will go with a regulator. but it seems strange to me that an aftermarket carb requires less than stock pressure. i would think it would need more if anything.

so what is the recommended psi for the edelbrock carbs?
    what does the stock pump put out?

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The stock AC fuel pump (mechanical)for carberated engines run about 4 to 7 lbs pressure. I have an Edlebrock #1405 600CFM carb,have used it on my 307 and the six cylinder in my C-10 with the bone stock AC fuel pump,never had any trouble with it flooding or starving--runs great just the way it is.As far as I know the Edelbrock or Carter style "AFB" carbs dont need any different pressure than stock--they used those carbs stock on many lincolns,caddys,and chrysler cars as well as gm,they only had normal mechanical fuel pumps. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i just got my 1407 edelbrock carb in the mail. it says in the package no more than 6.5 psi. so i guess if you've got a powerful stock pump it might be too much.

13. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Where in the HELL did you find the adapter fitting for going from your edelbrock fuel line to your stock fuel pump...I looked EVERYWHERE...and still have not found one.E
    Eddie

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

its just 3/8" flare, shouldn't be too hard to adapt to whatever you want from there.

15. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

This is the adapter I used to convert my stock fuel pump female flare to a male -6 AN flare. http://www.russellperformance.com/automotive/index.html

Go to Specialty Adapter Fittings

AN Size -6 Steel Part # 640380 Endura Part # 640381
    APPLICATION: Chevy fuel pumps (1970 and later) and Holley® inline filters with 5/8"-18 inverted flare thread.