Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock heads

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by JoseK5, Mar 14, 2002.

1. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

Hi'

Did anyone try out the aluminum edelbrock heads with angled plugs and 70cc combustion chambers, on a 350 or 383?

Thanks

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Haven't here, try posting on the main board. I have lusted after a set for my big block but they're pretty expensive pounds when I don't think I'd see a power gain.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Steven,

Do you have Oval or Rectangular port heads now on the 468??

If you have ovals, the weight and power advantages of the Rectangle Aluminum heads might be worth it. Plus you can squeak out a bit more compresion from aluminum heads w/o detonation.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

They're large ovals that have been pocket ported out to match a bigger valve. The chambers are bit bigger because they were cut to get rid of the shroud around the valve. Compression is already about 9.5:1 so it's a bit happier with mid grade but can get by without.
    I don't see the flow characteristics being a lot different between a set of worked over stock heads and the edlebrocks. I'd also be concerned with the port volumes, these ovals are still fairly small so they work out pretty well at lower RPM's and still pull pretty well through the rest of the range.

At this point it basically comes down to a weight advantage. And I don't really need any more power than what I have. More is always fun but it's more than adequate for what I do most of the time anyway. I've considered putting this motor in a tow rig and finding a 400 small block for the K5. If I can drop some pounds there and maybe some other places it might be worth it and would still push the truck pretty well. But for the next couple years the 468's going to be happily nestled in it's current home.