Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cricket, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Ok, installed the off-road needles and seats. Reset floats to 7/16 max rise and 15/16ths max drop.

Now it acts like it's lean. It runs a litle choppy at idle and the minute I open the choke it immediately dies. Otherwise the throttle input seems normal - no stumbling.

Are my float settings too low?

Ok here's something interesting. The instruction set with the kit specifically states 7/16 and 15/16ths. Edelbrocks website states the following conflicting information:

Off-Road

Although the Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor was not calibrated with hill climbing and other extreme off-road operation in mind, it can be made to perform superbly by substituting Edelbrock #1465 spring loaded needle and seat for the original needle and seat. The spring loaded needle and seat act like a shock absorber, reducing the possibility of flooding during off-road operation. After installation of the new needle and seat you must reset the float level to 3/8" and drop the float drop to 1-1/4" as outlined in "FLOAT ADJUSTMENT".

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Well I would try adjusting to the other setting first. See what happens. I always use a hand held vacuum gauge. Best way to tune carb. Can get one from Napa pretty cheap. Use it to adjust mixture.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Here the place I plugged the fuel crossover on each side with 5/16 hose - anyone that has done this, do me a favor and confirm this is correct. Just to eliminate another possibility.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Topper

5. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

And before the needle/seat install it idled good ? In my experiance just changing to offroad setup should not affect idle quality. I run my float settings " normal " 7/16 - 15/16. It's sounding like your Idle air fuel mix is lean ( two screws front of carb ). Are you familier with how to set them by rpm's and/or vacuum ? If changing there settings solves the prob, cool. If not, pop the top off the carb and verify floats are correct and functioning properly. Also pull out your piece of block off fuel line, reassemble and try her again. I see no reason for that to be the prob. But when I'm diagnosing prob's that dont seem to make sense I just work backwards and recheck my work. My biggest question is my first one. How did she run before these mod's and did you change anything else when you did this? And yes that is conflicting info about the float setting. I just went out to the garage ( I mean, The Perfect Garage ) Where I knew I had a offroad needle and seat in stock and read the instruction sheet. Brochure # 63-0162 states set float height to 7/16" and makes no mention at all re. float drop. I'll be watchin.

6. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Thats how i did mine but longways, doesnt matter tho as long as its blocked.

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i set mine form edlebrock's instructions that came with the kit. i didnt have to change any mix settings. my kit came with a spring loaded needle. i blocked the inner bowl length-wise with the gas tube instead of ure way, but im shure it is fine that way. i think the float adjustment was the 3/8th-1 1/4 but not to shure. i will look to see if i still have the paper. call edelbrock also, in case i dont, they are very helpful.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys, I tried Edelbrock but after 30 minutes of waiting on the phone for a tech I said screw it.

I will work backwards and see what happens, it ran fantastic before I messed with it.

My biggest questions are the obvious conflicting float setting recommendations and the positioning of the crossover cutoff tube.

When I pull the top tomorrow I'll look for anything obvious, we'll see what happens. Worst case I'll have to drag it to a shop.

9. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I had to turn up the idle circuit on mine after the needle and seat change but I also rejetted at the same time.

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Fixed It

Got it fixed.

This morning I pulled the top again and reset the floats to 3/8 with a 1 1/4 drop per the Edelbrock website instructions. That created a flooding problem.

So pulled the top again and this time I did two things. The first was to remove the fuel bowl crossover block-offs. The second was to reset the floats to the spec in my Edelbrock manual in the offroad needle & seat tuning section. 7/16 with a 1" drop. The thing I did differently when setting the floats this time around was to manually seat the needle. The offroad spring assembly seemed to be creating an incorrect reading. By lightly resting my finger on top of the float I could seat it properly and get the correct float measurement. In your edelbrock instructions it tells you to let the float seat by it's own weight but in my opinion that wasn't working right with the spring assembly installed.

So I reassembled it, started it up, let it clear, and it ran good with a slight chop at idle. Took a quick spin around the block with no adverse affect. Pulled it in the driveway and reset the air/fuel mixture with a dwell-tach. That smoothed the idle right out. Now that I had the floats set correctly and the carb tuned I went ahead and installed an Edelbrock fuel filter with anti-drain back valve followed by a Spectre quick dial fuel regulator. Started it again and took it around the block, everything worked great. I kicked in the 4's several times, whipped around corners, braked hard, with no adverse affect. I parked the truck on a 30 degree incline and jacked it up nose high and it kept running perfectly. Everything seems to be good at this point. I let the truck sit for a few hours, went back out and stood outside of the truck, reached through the window and cranked it right over.

So, either the finger on the float trick got me the right float setting or there was a problem with the fuel bowl crossover block-off which I removed. Or both. I'll find out just how well it's working when I get into some bad angles on the trail. :D

TOTAL COST: Summit Racing = 53.35

1. EDL-1465 offroad needle and seat kit 9.95
    2. EDL-8873 inline fuel filter with replaceable element 14.95
    3. Spe-2517 Spectre quick dial 1 to 5.5 psi fuel regulator 18.95
    4. ship cost 9.50

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  11. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Yee haa !! good to here she's workin. It's hard enough tuning in my driveway so sometimes I wonder why I dig into posts like this. But hey, If even one sentence from me helps one frustrated k-5'er it's worthwhile.
    take care,
    Cary Edit... In no way was I emplying I was the only guy offering help!:laugh:

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Thanks Cary, I greatly appreciate your help and everyone else's.

I think people forget just how helpful it is to give a few words of advice to someone that is frustrated and having trouble. If anything you guys that take time out of your day to try and help are a huge motivational booster.

THANKS! :thumb:

13. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Ok, I will def be pulling the top and rechecking the floats, as well as removing the hose from the fuel crossover tomorrow, cept I dont have a tach to set air/fuel mixture with. The carb idled great before the new needles... Just a question though, what do you have the regulator dialed in at? Would leaving it on while tuning be a problem?

I will update in the morning after some tinkering.

14. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Ah I see there are some people out there that has the same issue as me. Now that somebody got theirs to work I'll have to go back and check mine to see where I went wrong. Mine has been a flooding problem. Turn the mixture screws in and it was still running. Now I know where to go and start looking.

Thanks everybody!!!
    Don

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I left the regulator off until I had it running right. Once I had the carb issue fixed I added the regulator and it's set on 5.5 psi. The Edelbrock manual recommends 5 to 6 psi. When running trails with steep angles I will dial it down to 2 or 3 psi, whichever works best.

Leaving your regulator on while tuning won't make a difference unless you just had it dialed way down low.