Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock intake manifold?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cannibal, Jun 10, 2004.

1. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

hey everyone

i have a quick question, im on to upgrade my engine, but not toooo much, lookin for and intake manifold, some headers, and i was wondering which intake manifole to use, i want to use edelbrock, but which one, performer, and which performer, thanx, ohh, i have a 350ci engine all stock... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It all really depends on how far you want to go... They have got the original Performer, new Performer EPS, Performer RPM and the RPM Air Gap model. each one os more expensive than the last. The new EPS is supposed to give a few more hp and tq than the orginal performer, but at an added cost. You can typically get a original performer for less than $100 if you look in the right spots. I got one for my Nova off of EBay new in the box for $70 including the shipping.

I'm assuming you are running a stock intake with a Q-jet in which case the Performer and EPS models are set up to run a q-jet or a holley. The RPM's come eitherway, but cost more for the Q-jet capable ones or you got to buy a $20 adapter.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i want to use edelbrock

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Why when there are alot better avalible. Yeah, they're cheap, but thier quality controle isn't what it once was.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go with the original performer intake...good intake manifold and I have had good luck with mine. Edelbrock makes some good quality stuff. Don't bother with the RPM intake because that would be a little too much and it is a high rise to were the performer is the same height as the stock intake. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I will put in a vote for the regular Performer also.I have one on my all stock 350 with 200k+ miles on it and Im happy with it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Edelbrock makes some good quality stuff

[/ QUOTE ] No personal offence, but /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] No personal offence, but /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Sorry you had such a terrible experience with Edel but get over it. They do make good quality parts.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Sorry you had such a terrible experience with Edel but get over it. They do make good quality parts.

[/ QUOTE ] So thier quality is why I've spend hour apon hour with the emory cloth cleaning up casting in the runners on many customers Edelcrap intakes ??? Years ago they were good, but thier quality controle department must have all quit some years ago. I think they are designed good, but they need better quality controle. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I agree with Z on edelbrockd quality controll. A buddy of mine bought one of their carbs. Put it on, Car soon started running like crap. Took carb apart and it had a bunch of metal shavings in the bowl. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Personally I like Edelbrock stuff but Buyer beware! you have to do the quality controll yourself /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. ZooMad75

[ QUOTE ]
    So thier quality is why I've spend hour apon hour with the emory cloth cleaning up casting in the runners on many customers Edelcrap intakes ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Crusade to nail edlebrock is getting old. This guy asked for simple opinion on which Edlebrock intake to use, nothing more. Looks to me like he's already made up his mind on what brand he plans on using. Sure you got a right to voice your opinion on how you got burned, but all in all for the money Edlebrock makes decent parts. By the way, Edlebrocks foundrys are the ones used in casting the GM performance parts intakes.

If you are expecting CNC machined ports from Edlebrock, your Barking up the wrong tree. My Performer on my Nova Bolted right in, all my accessories bolted up and it don't leak, but most of all it was the right price. I'd sure love to have some high zoot race car intake on my ride but I got to feed my family too.

Besides, this guy has a STOCK 350 he wants to warm up a little, wouldn't a $300 intake be a waste of money? Sure it would work, but without the other mod's needed to match it (cam, carb, heads and exhaust) its a waste.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So thier quality is why I've spend hour apon hour with the emory cloth cleaning up casting in the runners on many customers Edelcrap intakes ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Crusade to nail edlebrock is getting old. This guy asked for simple opinion on which Edlebrock intake to use, nothing more. Looks to me like he's already made up his mind on what brand he plans on using. Sure you got a right to voice your opinion on how you got burned, but all in all for the money Edlebrock makes decent parts. By the way, Edlebrocks foundrys are the ones used in casting the GM performance parts intakes.

If you are expecting CNC machined ports from Edlebrock, your Barking up the wrong tree. My Performer on my Nova Bolted right in, all my accessories bolted up and it don't leak, but most of all it was the right price. I'd sure love to have some high zoot race car intake on my ride but I got to feed my family too.

Besides, this guy has a STOCK 350 he wants to warm up a little, wouldn't a $300 intake be a waste of money? Sure it would work, but without the other mod's needed to match it (cam, carb, heads and exhaust) its a waste.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
    Sure you got a right to voice your opinion

[/ QUOTE ] Not everybody knows about Edelbrock's lack of quality controle. So I point it out. I know I'd like someone to let me know befor I spend my money !!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. ZooMad75

[ QUOTE ]
    Not everybody knows about Edelbrock's lack of quality controle. So I point it out. I know I'd like someone to let me know befor I spend my money !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you but it seems obvious to me that your expectations are a little higher if you are taking emery cloth to the port runners of customer's intakes. Outside of the high end CNC machined intakes, nothing that is delivered in an "AS CAST" state like the Edlebrocks, Holley and Wieand Manifolds will have the rougher texture to the finish.

Your expectations are higher and thats fine, but thats not to say that Edlebrocks Quality control is in the crapper.

Granted I would not have a Edlebrock carb, but thats not because the quality is low, I just don't like that type of Carter AFB clone. I like my Q-jet and Holley carbs that I run, but I don't go bashing on E-brock.

It's painfully obvious that you could give a rat's ass so you can continue your crusade to gripe about them.

By the way, if your customer's are having you install edelbrock intakes, why haven't you convinced them to use something better? Seems kinda hypocritical if you are selling them Edlebrocks and yet still griping about them. I sure as hell would not sell something that I did not like as a product. But hey, you seem to know more than me. What do I know anyway..... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not everybody knows about Edelbrock's lack of quality controle. So I point it out. I know I'd like someone to let me know befor I spend my money !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you but it seems obvious to me that your expectations are a little higher if you are taking emery cloth to the port runners of customer's intakes. Outside of the high end CNC machined intakes, nothing that is delivered in an "AS CAST" state like the Edlebrocks, Holley and Wieand Manifolds will have the rougher texture to the finish.

Your expectations are higher and thats fine, but thats not to say that Edlebrocks Quality control is in the crapper.

Granted I would not have a Edlebrock carb, but thats not because the quality is low, I just don't like that type of Carter AFB clone. I like my Q-jet and Holley carbs that I run, but I don't go bashing on E-brock.

It's painfully obvious that you could give a rat's ass so you can continue your crusade to gripe about them.

By the way, if your customer's are having you install edelbrock intakes, why haven't you convinced them to use something better? Seems kinda hypocritical if you are selling them Edlebrocks and yet still griping about them. I sure as hell would not sell something that I did not like as a product. But hey, you seem to know more than me. What do I know anyway..... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ] First of all, I don't sell parts, I install. I recomend products I think are good, but in the end, it's the customers choice. I tell them the same things I post. Occationally I've had to use emory cloth on Wieand and Holley intakes, but no where as often as with Edelbrocks. Personaly, I really like intakes from Dart Machinery, and World Products. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not everybody knows about Edelbrock's lack of quality controle

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everybody knows how to spell either...

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] And your Pointless is ???

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    His point is you can't spell. I learned how to spell in grade school, How about you?

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    His point is you can't spell. I learned how to spell in grade school, How about you?

[/ QUOTE ] So is this some weak minded attempt to put me down sence I pointed out Edelbrock's lack of quality controle ??? I mean, what else could it be sence the topic is about edelcrap. Can't dispute the fact, so make a attack about my spelling ?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

So is this some weak minded attempt to put me down sence I pointed out Edelbrock's lack of quality controle ??? I mean, what else could it be sence the topic is about edelcrap. Can't dispute the fact, so make a attack about my spelling ?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    True, this discussion is about EdelBROCK but I love pointing out that you sound like you have the education of a 3rd grader when I have the chance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

So is this some weak minded attempt to put me down sence I pointed out Edelbrock's lack of quality controle ??? I mean, what else could it be sence the topic is about edelcrap. Can't dispute the fact, so make a attack about my spelling ?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    True, this discussion is about EdelBROCK but I love pointing out that you sound like you have the education of a 3rd grader when I have the chance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] So you're saying you have too resort to weak minded attacks because you can't dispute what I'm saying about Edelcrap's lack of quality controle. Most children start in with name calling and put downs when they are loosing arguements. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's almost comic if that is all yer gripe is.
    I have spent time port matching the runners and such but nothing to be alarmed about.
    No more or less than any other simalar intake.