Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock mainfold and stock carb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Dec 18, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Can you run an edelbrock performer manifold with your stock carb. I have a 4 bbl on my 350. even if it fit would it not be worth it without putting on a performer carb? also anyone running a performer carb with the offroad kit? how well does it work?

thanks

2. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

It depends on your edelbrock intake. It may require a quadrajet adaptor plate that you could get from any spped shop. You will notice an improvement but unless your quadjet is in good shape I would put a new edelbrock square bore on. You will be amazed then.

3. 76_Cheyenne

Is the stock carb a quadrajet?

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

your carb will bolt up, edelbrocks are drilled for both bolt patterns, an intake is an easy swap, just do it, worry about getting a new carb later

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I running a Performer with the stock carb, and it works great. Can't beat a Q-Jet offroad, unless you're runnin' FI.

John

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Same here, I have a Performer intake with a Q-jet carb. I'm very happy with the combination.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't understand what the big deal is with Edelbrock. I think they're crap. I much reather have a World Products-Dart 2, or Wieand-Stelth intake manifold.

8. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Why do you think they are crap ? Have you had problems with them ? I have never owned a Dart or Weiand intake before. Other than stock I have had Holley and Edelbrocks and they have both worked fine. Which one of these do you have on your truck and how long has it been on ?

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Unless you're going to be running a non-Quadrajet Edelbrock carburetor their carburetor isn't going to be any better unless yours is junk. The idea is to get yours working perfectly.

Ideally, you want a carburetor without APT. APT is that knob that sticks up on the passenger front of the carburetor.

Of course, if your time is worth more than the $250 for a new carb instead of a couple hours of your time, a $37 rebuild kit, and a $15 book then it makes sense to buy one that bolts on.

Your 76 should have the nice Quadrajet on it. A rebuild, DR rods, and a "P" hanger would probably serve you well.

Which manifold are you looking at? The 2101 is nice.

10. 76_Cheyenne

Well the carb is the original with about 80,000 miles on it and it runs great, no problems. But i'm looking for a little more power. I already have flowtech headers and straight exhaust, and looking to be able to intake more air and gas. I was looking at the performer manifold for idle-5500 rpm. Im not sure which part # it was. and its only like 90$, so I thought it would be an easy cheap unpgrade, as long as i didn't have to buy a new carb.

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I noticed a nice increase in power over that restrictive stock boat anchor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Why do you think they are crap ? Have you had problems with them ? I have never owned a Dart or Weiand intake before. Other than stock I have had Holley and Edelbrocks and they have both worked fine. Which one of these do you have on your truck and how long has it been on ?

[/ QUOTE ] I just don't like Edelbrock. I don't think the quality what it used to be. At one time Edelbrock was high quality, but I think it isn't anymore. Currently, My 400 sbc is all stock, but I will be going to the weiand Stelth. Had one on my last K5 and it preformed great. I've used the World Products Dart 2 intake manifold on alot of the hot rods and I loved the preformance. Weiand Stelth Main thing I like </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Idle-7200 RPM power band

[/ QUOTE ]