Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock manifold and Holley carb probs.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GM Man, Mar 27, 2003.

1. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Recently I bought a 78 GMC Jimmy and it came with a nice Edelbrock manifold. The other day I tried to install my Holley carb and the rear fuel bowl hits right where Edelbrock put there vacuum port. Anyone else had this problem before and if so did a carb spacer clear for you?

Thanks.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Lose the Holley and stick with the Quadra-Jet. Trust me on this. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Yes I encountered that but I dont remember what I did to fix it. I think I just grabbed my brake booster Vac from another port. PI isnt here so I cant even go look.

Also if you have a 50cc secondary accelerator pump youll need a spacer of at least a 1/4 inch to clear the larger A.P. housing.

4. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I know Q-jets are good, but I bought a new Truck Avenger for another truck and then sold it and I want to use it now on my Jimmy. Seems Edelbrock only cast in one vacuum port. I looked to use another one, but there wasnt one to use. Lucky me /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks

5. Pure Insanity

HMMM Ill look tommororw to see where I put it. But I have the Performer RPM Vortec. There may be a difference.

6. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Thanks for looking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I know mine is the older dual plane type. Im hoping that a spacer will work, but I'll see once its gets a bit warmer here.

7. Pure Insanity

AH HA! I see it! Look CLOSELY here and you can see its plumbed to the port on the back of the carb. Youll have to blow the pic up to normal size to see where it goes, just follow the brake vac hose. The carb on it in that pic is an 850 mech. sec. carb, but the port was there on the 750 vac sec. I had on there also. (you can also see the 850 in the pic had no provision for a kickdown cable and I had it laying loose, not a TV cable for a 700, kick down for a TH 350.)

8. Pure Insanity

Worst care senario, get a 1 inch spacer and a 90* elbow to turn it sideways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock sells a low-profile 90* fitting for running a Holley on an Edelbrock manifold. Check Jegs & Summit or even Edelbrock's website. I puchased the fitting a while back but haven't put it on yet. Just like pureinsanity, I've run the vacuum off a different port.

I think Edelbrock put that vacuum port so close to the carb mounting pad for a reason, so you have to run one of their carbs /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif but I refuse. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for all of your ideas, now I know I can make it work. I'll have to look in my Summit catalog for the 90 elbow, or just run it off somewhere else.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally I'd get a Wieand Stealth , and sell that Edelcrap manifold.