Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock mpfi rich out one side

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Mar 11, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Damned fuel injection is gonna drive me insane. Shoulda gone carb. Anyway, it is running rich as crap out the pass side exhaust. The 02 sensor is in the drivers side exhaust, i think the sensor is fried (again, and i just put a $50 heated one in agh). Anyway, the pass side runs rich (gas smoke) till the engine does a series of up and down idles, then it sets a code 45 (ive checked everything but o2 sensor that haynes calls out for a code 45) and then both sides faintly smoke. What the heck is up. Ive emailed edelbrock, still no response from them, im going insane, wanted to get it inspected today, but def wont pass with gas smoke pouring out one of the pipes.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I'll take a guess..... Fuel Pressure?
    The fuel enters the rails on the Pass side and it is regulated on hte drivers side. Maby the return line is kinked. Just sounds like the injecters are adding too much fuel?? I'm just guessing. I have not tuned this setup before?
    Wich Edel. setup is it you have? TBI upgrade?
    I would call the main number and ask for FI tech support. They have allways been cool to me.
    Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well i didnt call edelbrock, i emailed em, they are full of crap, basically they dont have a frickin clue lol. Somewhere in my email i mentioned that it acts almost like it has too much pressure, in reply, they ignored my entire email, except they said to try a adjustable regulator off of an lt1, good luck. Bastages. Anyway, im runnin the TBI upgrade, the fuel enters on the drivers side and is regulated on the pass side. and from the regulator returns to the tank.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

VACUUM LEAK.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

If your goin carb let me know /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. I wouldnt mind a mpfi to replace my tbi /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

haha not goin carb lol, just gettin fed up. Carb if its rich, rejet, mpfi, ugh.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Do you know what your fuel pressure is? If not, I think that is where you need to start. The problems you describe do not sound like a sensor problem. Call Edlebrock, they were very helpful when we set ours up.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't have the number handy but I talked with Terry Abercrombie a couple times about my Pro-Flo setup and he was very helpful and seamed like he knew allot about the setup. I would goto their website get the number and ask for Terry. They are in Cali so may have to wait until after 8amPST. Check all the mecanical stuff first then goto sensors...if it is still a prob then the only thing left is computer or the harness connections somewere????
    Just guess out loud for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm assuming this is a batch system, not sequential? Is it possible you've got a wiring issue that is firing the injectors on that bank all the time?

Not familiar really with the Edelbrock system, does it use the same codes as the GM stuff? (same ECM perhaps?)

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    VACUUM LEAK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or more precisely, a vaccum leak on the intake on the drivers side. This will make the drivers side (where the O2 sensor is) lean, which will make the FI dump in more fuel, which will in turn make the passenger side run really rich. This same thing can also be caused by an exhaust leak near the O2 sensor. Anything that allows extra air to get to the O2 sensor will make the engine run rich.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it's dual exhaust, and it's rich only on one side, how does the O2 know which bank to richen up? (it may be reading one side, but it's "assuming" that both banks are screwed up)

Unless the Edelbrock system is different that much from GM's, it doesn't calibrate the fuel delivery based on the bank of the engine.

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh it uses the gm ecm, I fixed it somewhat, bad temp sensor was enhancing the rich prob. Still somewhat rich out the pass side, slightly on driver side. Ill check for exhaust leaks. However, once the truck gets warm. Its good. When its cold, it is rich. Cloud of gas smoke, after runs 5 mins, and a couple throttle stabs, all is good. Just slurps down gas in first 5 mins.

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it's dual exhaust, and it's rich only on one side, how does the O2 know which bank to richen up? (it may be reading one side, but it's "assuming" that both banks are screwed up)

Unless the Edelbrock system is different that much from GM's, it doesn't calibrate the fuel delivery based on the bank of the engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ECM would richen both sides, but one side would still be running lean from the vacuum leak.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The ECM would richen both sides, but one side would still be running lean from the vacuum leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'd told K20 the same thing in IMs.

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh i know still searching for one. DIdnt have time to look much yesterday, will this afternoon. gotta go to the dentist soon /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif