Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock MPFI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Apr 23, 2005.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I seen a few posts a while back about people running the setups on their 350's. Anyone still running them?

Have a few questions for you if you are so post up.

Tuning this beast is kicking my a$$. Says according to the book that I will only need to modify the base a very little to have it going good for the application. Well I am finding it that I am required to do extensive tuning to get it to go right. Or maybe it is just me, I stomp the pedal and expect to go but it is falling on her face. Timing is right and I am racking my brain polaying with the fuel and spark curves to get it to run. I am gturning the closed loop fuel off, tuning it and then turning it back on.

Any help appreciated.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I can't help with the tuning but I know Watson has the Edelbrock brand mpfi on Wally, you might post this in the ORD forum so he'll be sure to see it. I know his is a big block but the tuning principles should be the same.

(hijack - no ECBB?)

3. 79Stomper

Thanks, will do.

[hijack]Nope, Stomper isn't running right so stuck here. Was going to go without her but would have been pissed off and gave her away why I was there so decided it would be best to stay home. [/hijack]

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Burt4x4 has the edelbrock MPFI setup on his rat motor as well.
    His was doing just like what your describing when we fired his motor up.
    We needed to increase idle fuel % which is one of the first few steps.
    going from like 0% up to 40% or 45% made the thing run awsome.
    wish i could help you more than that.

5. 79Stomper

I have the idle fuel and everything set and it will sit there and purr like a kitten, problem is that when I put it in gear and start to go sounds like it is getting too much fuel. I ran all the 87 octane out and put some 93 in it and seems to be doing a little better. When the rain stops I will go out there and continue to play with the fuel settings on it.
    Is there anything else I am missing? I really am an inpatient person when it comes to stuff like this. Off to more trial and error.

6. Ryan B.

i read that the next step is you can tune all your lower ve tables with the same % fuel and spark advance. And it can be tuned in 200 rpm incriments from 1000 - 3000 i believe?
    Just cause you think it feels like it has too much fuel doesn't necessarily mean that, if you had to increase fuel % at idle it might want more fuel across the board.
    I'd start adding more fuel and if it's bogging worse then you know its getting too much so start taking away fuel. Better off going too rich then backing it off, then too lean.
    It also reccomends not advancing the timing too much and getting to the point where you are seeing some spark knock on the knock sensor. thats bad and means it either needs more fuel or less spark advance, maybe both.

one last thing, when i swapped over to tpi i started it up and once i got it running awsome i took it out for a drive.. but it was popping and cutting out, i couldn't tell if it was way too much fuel or totally starving for it...
    but one thing i did know is i barely had any gas in my fuel tank.. So before i tried anything else i filled up my gas tank and it stopped cutting out..
    When i get down to about 1/4 of a tank it starves for fuel pretty bad when accelerating or cornering... and i never had these problems with a carburator just going to high pressure fuel injection.

7. 79Stomper

Tuning it goes in the 1000 rpm incrememnts (to 7000 rpm) and has different settings for 6" 12" 18" of vacuum as well as WOT. Plus you can go in and make a global modification to change it throughout the RPM range. The reason I am saying it is getting too much fuel is because of the smell, plus the little light on the control module. It says to run it a little rich but from what I am smelling it is way too rich. I added more fuel to it after I was able to move it. I put 87 Octane in it, about 12 gallons or so, tuned it for a few hours and that was gone. Put some more in it today but 93 and seems to have helped it some. Going to go out and tune it some more. I have not played with the spark advance or retard settings due to there warning of causing "unheard" engine damage so I have pretty much just played with fuel delivery both in adding and subtracting it, keeping a close eye on the lean/rich indicatore light on the control module.

And so the saga continues, Thanks for the help, sure wish I knew someone close who has done this thing before to give a hand.

James

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

What exactly is your timing set at? It sounds like static timing is right, but maybe the advance is not? You'll have to get the timing advance set up eventually, I think it could be contributing to your problems.

9. 79Stomper

Timing is 10* BTDC on the crank and as far as timing in the module, everything else is setto the base on the cal module. The TPS is set at 13*. I am stuped. I have it now where I can drive but when I am at the lower RPM's it is still stumbling. I have increased and decreased my spark at the varying rpm's and vacuum setting with no real improvements. Played with the global spark modifier and still the same stuff. Wants to hesitate and back fire occasionally.

10. Ryan B.

have you checked fuel pressure... while you get on it?
    how much have you increased or decreased fuel % ?

11. 79Stomper

Fuel pressure seems to be doing good. I have increased the fuel by up to 20 or so %. and decreased it that much as well playing with the settings. Right now I have it gradually increasing to 8% at 4000rpms and have the spark doing the same. Seems to have helped it some I justhave to get the settings right at WOT now. I plan on spending tomorrow doing that.

12. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I am also having a similar problem with mine. I have found that a call to terry at edelbrock is the best way to get you back on track. But it sounds like you have to much fuel. What color is the rich lean indicator at the time of the stumble? Or you can send him an email and he will get back to you very quickly. All of the info is in your manuel that came with your kit.

13. 79Stomper

Yeah I have called Terry a few times and I have sent him a few emails. Called him on Friday and got me going in the right direction and plan on making a call to him again today. Going to add his direct number to my speed dial:D:D:D

14. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Its nice to have a guy you can call that will help you out. Alot of the tech people with the aftermarket companys are not as helpfull as him. :D

15. 79Stomper

Tuned and SWEET

All right. After quite a few calls to the Helpful Edelbrock Technical Line, Terry was of a great help as usual. After him assisting me with +/- fuel and spark still the same so he suggested it was something else and not the system. Turns out it was. Was thinking as to why I couldn't get it started the first time and decided what the hell, I will go ahead and re adjust the valves. Well i did that and she started and purred like a kitten. I had it purring at idle but could never get it to go when I was on the throttle. So I took it for a ride and man I opened her up and WOW. A night and day difference.

So all in all it was my dumbass that head everything screwed up as usual, but Terry was helpful and offered to pay shipping to send it (fuel Injection) to him and have them take a look at it.

Man that MPFI ROCKS.

Thanks all on here for your help as well. Dontoe, need to make it down my way so I can buy you those cokes and we can sit around and shoot the bull for a while.

James

16. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:thinking: I seem to remember a week ago when someone was going to put the carb back and then burn the entire truck :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

17. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So is this thing ready to roll?

18. 79Stomper

I still had the thoughts in my head yesterday.............. but like you said a week or so ago, you will enjoy it when you get it running right, welp I am there. We all have our times when we are :mad: at our rigs or want to sell them and put them on the resale lot:whistle::whistle::whistle:

John: Yep, except I still need to fab up a battery tray for the fire wall (tomorrow), and put he front drive shaft on her and I think that is it for now. Oh yeah the inner fenders too but I am really tempted to just run without them. So much easier working on it without those bastards in the way.

19. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey, hey now, I've never felt like that. :shame: I have accepted that mine is a POS and there will be days that it will get the best of you. We all know that carolina boys never give up. :xmas:

20. 79Stomper

That was directed at sapper, cause I remember one time I seen this big black Blazer, 3/4 tons and 40's sitting on the resale lot, and talk of a Jeep or something.........:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Yeah I have a Jeep but I still have the Jimmy too.