Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock off road needles and seats

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BizeeB65, Jan 16, 2006.

1. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of getting some of these needles and seats to try out first before I spend $350 on a Truck Avenger Carb. EFI is out of the question right now as $$ is limited. Anyone know if these needles are universal for Edelbrock carbs ? Do I need to change anything else on the carb to get better performance on angles? Thanks!

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

We all know nothing beats EFI bla, bla, bla. Having said that.... I use the off road kit and it works for me. I still am suprised at what kind of angles and rough stuff I run without probs. Also make sure your float level is set correctly while your in there.

3. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Is there some other kit or just the needles and springs? I could only locate that on jegs and summit. Thanks.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Here's a copy of a pm Storm Trooper sent me regarding Edel-stalls. He uses the offroad needle & seat kit with an inline fuel regulator. He also set his floats a hair lower. Look at some of Dave's pictures and angles he takes with his 1406.

5. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

7 deg. marine wedge under the carb. worked really well in Hawaii. Even on angles like this. 2nd pic is from the opposite side, same angle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. theperfectgarage

Far as I know that's it. And as others mentioned, fuel pressure adjusment. Sometimes I turn up the cowbell.:wink1:

7. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I find that if I really explore the space with the cowbell..... I mean... Reccomend any particular fuel regulator?

8. theperfectgarage

Holley and other " name " companys make good ones, or use the crappy lookin little one from the performance aisle at checker or autozone. ( I have the cheapy, two years and still works ) Napa prob. has a decent one.

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I did the off road needles this summer in my 1406 Edelbrock Performer. Here is some info. I had on the computer:

SPECIAL CALIBRATIONS

The preceding calibrations and adjustments apply to carburetors used in general street applications. In the following extreme instances, special calibration procedures may need to be followed.
    Off-Road

Although the Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor was not calibrated with hill climbing and other extreme off-road operation in mind, it can be made to perform superbly by substituting Edelbrock #1465 spring loaded needle and seat for the original needle and seat. The spring loaded needle and seat act like a shock absorber, reducing the possibility of flooding during off-road operation. After installation of the new needle and seat you must reset the float level to 3/8" and drop the float drop to 1-1/4" as outlined in "FLOAT ADJUSTMENT".

From this page: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_sect2.html

I was amazed at how much we had to move the float level from what it was. Seems to have helped, but still not all that great.

10. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

W E D G E !:wink1:

11. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i have the edlebog 1406 and it was the crappyest thing to take off road. thought i would just check in to the off-road kit ($8 i think) instead of a new carb just for grins. now i have very little prob with any angles. just remember to block the cross connect on the bowls.

12. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

When i rebuilt my 1406 i used the offroad needle and seat. I used some 5/16" vacuum line i think to block the part that connected the bowls, i cut off what was sticking over if any with a razor. Ive seen some people use epoxy there too. I have yet to test my carb tho.

13. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

yeah i used rubber gas line too

14. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Yes, install the offroad needle & seat kit and lower the floats. But definately, block the fuel crossover between the bowls. This will keep it running on side angles. Maybe not super clean, buit it will keep running. An Edelbrock tech told me to do this and it worked great for years.

15. chubbynova

chubbynova Registered Member

i also have a edelbrock 1406 currently but have been looking into the truck avenger. i think i will try the new needle and seats and adjust the floats following edelbrocks website. my question is how do i block the fuel bowls crossover?where is it? i have never adjusted or fixed a carb before is it something a beginner can do?

16. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I got my parts on order, so once they get here and I get it together I will post up on how it does, and assembly, so forth.

17. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

My truck is not bogging, it just plain shuts off when i hit a hard bump or same thing with the angles, it hates it! If it dies out on a hill it will take like 30 sec or turning over to get it to start again, i have a holly though, what can i do to mine to make it work better?
    Holley 600cfm
    Series # 4160
    Model # 80450

18. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Is this an attempt at a thread hijack? :eek1:

J/K man. Sounds like you might have a sticky float?? I would take the carb off and give it a good cleaning. You might wanna post up a new thread too... get more responses that way.

19. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Yes, I had never opened a carb before I did this. It was so easy. Just unscrew the couple screws holding the top of the carb on and you'll see the fuel crossover. Plug it with epoxy or rubber hose. While it's in your hand, lower the floats to 7/16". Then, reassemble.

20. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Me too, my summit order is on the way.