Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and header question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by opfor2, Jul 4, 2005.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Hi all,

Stupid question time. I’ve been told that by replacing the intake manifold and headers on my 90 K-5 that I would get a lot of additional power and increase my gas mileage. My question is is it worth the time, cost, and effort for me to replace the stock manifold with the Edelbrock #3704 performer, and replace the stock exhaust manifold with Edelbrock headers? Is it all worth it?

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Engine mods

Yes, it will be, especially if you increase the size of the exhaust pipes to let the headers do their thing, you will see a noticeable difference. Add a K&N filter to your shopping list while you're at it too.

3. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

It will be worth the time and trouble, as long as your motor is tuned up and running well.

Try this site, I'm going to get some of their parts soon for my TBI.

CFM - TECH

4. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The Edelbrock "shorty" truck hedders are not worth the money cause they are not of a full length design and are simply a fancy replacement for cast manifolds.
    The Intake on the other hand is a fine piece of Vic's engineering prowess that matches the increased airflow of Holley's TBI replacement.
    Port match should be observed and use a intake gasket that fits closely around the ports.
    After these mods you will realize a modest increase in power output and ask yourself why you didn't replace the smallish camshaft and notably worn timing chain/gear set while you had the intake manifold off.......

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

make it an AMSOIL airfilter and u would be set :wink1:

6. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Shorty headers

Shorty headers are good for top end, but you'll want full length headers to get the low end torque. I've used Heddman Hedders on 2 of my trucks and never had a problem with them once.