Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock Performer question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Jul 26, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone got a picture of their Edelbrock perfomer ?--I need a photo of one taken from above the air horn looking down into the barrels...

I have suspicions that someone had mine apart in the past,and might have installed the secondary air valve butterfies in wrong..they are not flat butterflies like the ones on the throttle base plate,the edges are turned up on one side of them--on mine those upturned edges are facing the firewall ,and the "bent" side facing upwards..

They seem to work right (Closed by the counterweights at rest,and flop back to the closed position if you push them open--)..but this carb has always felt "flat" when I open the secondaries,no matter what engine I've used it on....it runs excellent on the primaries, and gets good gas mileage however..just feels to me like those air valve butterflies are not opening right..could they be installed "wrong"??..

I'm wishing now I kept the 625 CFM Carter AFB I had on my 400 SB when I sold it (for 150 bucks,I should have kept a LOT of stuff on it!)..:doah: :mad: --that carb kicked in the 4 barrels great!--and I'm not so sure it even HAD those "air valve" butterflies in it!..an old AFB I have from a nailhead Buick doesn't have them either..( I know not all AFB's had them)..wonder how my Edelbrock would react if I took them out...:confused: ...

Maybe I should just swap my 2 BBL Holley "Economaster" on it and save gas!:rolleyes: ..but I'm too lazy to do it in 90 degree heat..:crazy:

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a brand new Edelbrock Performer 750 CFM on my 1985 K30 with a 454. I cannot get a good picture for you, but I did go out to look at it, and mine have the bent side facing towards the front of the truck, and not the firewall. The bent side facing upwards. The butterflies are pop riveted to the underside of the throttle shaft. If your butterflies are attached to the throttle shaft with screws or nut/bolts, and not pop rivets, this would be a sign that somebody has messed with it.

3. diesel4me

Hmm!

I found an exploded diagram via google..they show the butterflies installed the same way mine are!--(maybe YOURS is in wrong??)..now I'm really confused!:confused: :confused: ..

Mine is a 1405 Performer--600 CFM,manual choke..maybe the 750 is set up different?..what I wish I had was a 500 CFM performer,600 is a bit big for a 305,and the more MPG I can get,the better!..

I've had the top off the carb a long time ,ago to re-set the floats when I bought it,and put a new accelerator pump in--but I never really paid attention to the air valve butterflies--just assumed they were never messed with!--but this carb had its choke butterfly and fast idle linkage removed before I got it-(note to self--DON'T buy a carb for 50 bucks in a hurry at a swap meet!:doah: )--I didn't notice the choke butterfly was GONE!,until I got home..:mad: .

I found a choke butterfly from an old AFB I had,and it fit ok--the fast idle linkage I havent found yet--AFB one is different..manual choke and no fast idle kinda sucks..:( but I dont even need to choke it hardly at all,even on cold starts..carb is jetted pretty rich (0.98 primary jets!)--I'm suprised it gets decent gas mileage!..(15 mpg or so)

It appears the air valve butterflies and weights assembly could be put in 2 different ways,if you flipped it end for end..now I'm wondering which way is the "right" way!...

Anyway,after wasting a gallon of gas playing with the carb, I guess the secondaries DO work...my air cleaner,from the 86 G10 van the 305 came from,has a dinky 10" air filter(which looks original!:blush: ),plus a "silencer" screen dewhickey in it,that is restrictive as hell!..(no wonder I couldn't hear it!)--when I boot it with the air cleaner off,I can hear the 4 bbl kick in again just fine!...

I'd put my "hot rod" batwing dual inlet air cleaner on it,but that will encourage me to floor it too often!...

That 2 bbl carb looks more tempting every time I gas up..just hate to re-do all the linkages and kickdown cable,and fuel lines again--truck is for sale,dont feel like making more work for myself ...:crazy:

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I highly doubt it. I bought my carburetor only about 2-months ago, and is brand new out of the box (model number 1411), with only about 75 miles on it. Since mine is a brand new Edelbrock Performer 750 CFM, it may a little different from yours. Yours may be an older model with a slightly different design.

5. diesel4me

mine IS old..

I'd guess mine is from the late 80's to mid 90's...at any rate,I'm done screwing with it--it runs good enough for me!-

(removing the air filter and test driving it with just the "screen" in the filter housing made a huge difference--I will probably use an aftermarket filter during summer months,and go back to the stock one in cold weather,so I can hook up the hot air hose and inlet "door" to prevent carb icing--IF I dont sell it soon that is!)

I can't afford to be using the secondaries anyway..its an expensive habit..but FUN...:p:

Plus I ran into a guy parting out a malibu with a 267 V8 ,that has a 500 CFM Edelbrock,and he might be willing to trade me for my 600 CFM,or sell his cheap--maybe I'll just grab his if I can get it..it has electric choke too!:D ..

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've got a 600CFM Edelbrock (1406) with electric choke for sale. It has the offraod needles and seats in it and a swivel inlet. I have an extra set of jets and gaskets to go with it. I ran it for a year with great results, but have since swapped to fuel injection.

Make me an offer...I need to get rid of it.

7. diesel4me

Thanks anyway...

I dont have a cent to spare right now...my carb is running OK now,it was the air cleaner smothering it that was making me think the secondary barrels were not opening right!(and I learned the air valve only fits one way!)...if I did get another carb,I'd opt for the 500 CFM version with electric choke..the guy I mentioned who has one has found a buyer for the 267 V8 ,so he's probably going to sell it complete "as is",carb and all...my truck is for sale too,so no sense in spending money on it for another carb,when it doesn't really need it..

Someone here probably needs a carb!--hope you sell it!..:crazy: