Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EDELBROCK performer seires carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 6, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about replacing my q jet for an edelbrock performer carb. Are theses fro racing or just normal street use? I want a basic carb just to get around with. Will that brand work for my stock 305. If I do purchase it will it fit on my stock manifold and fit up to my stock vacume lines and gas lines and linkage? If not what do I need to purchase ? Also do I need a spacer plate for it to adapt to?

Any input will help thanks
    Brian

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I run a performer 1405 carb on mine. I find it works very good for everyday driving, and off road as long as you dont get too far off-camber. I installed the off-road needle and seat kit, and I never have had any trouble with bumps or vibration, but like I said, when it gets off on an angle either sideways or up/ down, it does load up and occasionally floods.
    It should work well on your 305, I ran it on my 305 for 2 yrs with no troubles. I noticed a good increase in performance, although when I put on the performer manifold as well, it worked lots better. You will need an adapter plate to mount it on your stock manifold, the manifold is spread bore and the carb is a square bore. It should hook up, from what I remember... I had to cut off the fuel line a bit short and run a rubber hose from the front, thru an inline filter, then to the back of the carb. The q-jet has the filter in the carb. Also, your stock air cleaner wont go on it. You will have to either buy an aftermarket cleaner, you know those chrome performance ones, or make a spacer for the top of the carb to use your stock one.
    Guess thats about it... you never said what year your motor is, if you have the electronic connections to the stock carb, I just let mine hang. It never affected anything.

Good Luck
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

3. JimmyJuneau

its an 85

1985 GMC JIMMY

4. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Don't do it!! I have one of these on my BBC and it really sucks. It does not like heat even with a spacer under the carb. It does not like off camber situations and will flood. It also screws up on large "bumps". You can even get it to screw up on the street if you combine all three conditions. If you want/need a new carb get the QJet version from Edelbrock or JET.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What model of Edelbrock is the replacement for the factory 4bbl?

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I don't have the model number handy but summit racing sells them. Their number is 1-800-230-3030. These carbs are more expensive than the performer series but considering how many problems I've had with mine, it seems that it is worth it. I will swap mine out eventually.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Jimmy, Depending on wether or not you've got an egr valve will depend on how it fits on your blazer. If you haven't got an egr it'll fit right on. The egr valve gets in the way so you need to get a riser. Don't know the part # but its made by edlebrock and they're about 60 bucks. Another way to avoid the egr if you have one is too put about 4 inches of spacers between the carb and manifold. Doesn't work well. I dunno what the emission laws are in Alaska but its a no no to remove them (egr) here in Az. Good luck with the carb. I liked mine when I had it years ago. It helps to get the off road needles and seats.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

8. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

let me tell you from experience ive had all three carbs. on my jimmy (350) first i got an edelbrock fourbarrel and man did that thing suck on and off road but hey they look pretty, 2nd was a holley liked it on the street sucked offroad but not as much as the edelbrock, third Q-Jet road was bad ass and offroad man that thing kicks ass i love my Q-jet cheaper too got mine at Auto Zone. Since my Jimmy is a 75 and didnt come with any emmisions what so ever i told the guy at AutoZone i wanted a carb for a 69 chevy pick up four barrel, my carb has one vacumm line and thats just for the advance other than that its all carb.

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

9. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I have an Edelbrock Performer carb and I don't really care for it. When I lug down (idling through town, or through the trails) it loads up to the point that it will foul plugs. Plus you can't get it to idle as low as the Quadra Jet. I will be replacing mine with a rebuilt Q-Jet, as soon as I get the book I ordered on them (by Doug Roe)[​IMG].

Jeff427
    <a target="_blank" href=http://muddog.off-road.ws>Mud Dog Off Road Club</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://lyonsdesign.bizhosting.com>Lyons Design Web Site</a>

10. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

There are a few different numbers I believe 1901-1905 are all replacements but it depends on what year motor/truck you have. You can probably find out more at www.carpartsonsale.com.
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

11. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I rreplaced mine a few months ago from summit. they have a direct fit replacement 795cfm quadrajet, which fits anything up to a 454. installed it and haven't had a problem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by KENNY on 09/06/01 07:33 PM.</FONT></P>

12. JimmyJuneau

How much did that carb cost you???Kenny

1985 GMC JIMMY

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you want a squarebore carb, in my opinion, the Edelbrock/AFBs are the best. I run a 1404, 500 CFM carb on my truck, and DAMN does this thing have throttle response (it's on a 305, mildly built).

I will be getting a Q-Jet though this winter and building it up with Roe's book for better mileage and off-road performance.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

14. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I think it was around $400. I know pretty steep but if you want to pass emissions and keep it stock summit part#edl-1904

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

and DAMN does this thing have throttle response

<hr></blockquote>

I run the 1406 (600 cfm, electric choke) on my mild 350...throttle response? Oh yeah! its very snappy! [​IMG]
    Too bad it sucks so bad off road...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>