Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock proflow fuel injection?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotmud77, Aug 27, 2004.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Is there anybody else running this on here? I just got it home and man is it a nice kit. They give you everything you need. Once i get it installed I will post up my results.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Mind if I ask what you paid?

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I paid are you ready for this. Sit down $2079. But if it works like it should It will be worth every penny. I was going to do a tpi swap but it would never be as adjustable as the edelbrock kit. I have not started to install yet but probably this weekend and then i will see if it was worth the money i hope it is.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I was going to do a tpi swap but it would never be as adjustable as the edelbrock kit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps "at this time" it's not as adjustable. PROM burning is a do-it-yourself proposition if you want to take the time. All the software and hardware is out there to adjust TBI/TPI any way you see fit, it's just not as easy.

Not beating the Edelbrock setup up, there is a guy with a Monte SS and a 383 running it who is extremely happy (and has been for quite some time) so I suspect it is a good setup.

$2000 might sound expensive to those contemplating the swap, but the time and effort saved is probably equivalent to what my TPI setup acquisition (not time or additional parts) cost, $500. Start adding in the fuel system, intake, wiring, trips to wrecking yards and parts stores, and all the time, it would easily reach somewhere near $2000, if not beyond.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Tell me how you like it once you get it on. Im considering swapping out my tbi-mpfi mpfi conversion (edelbrock) for the proflow one since ill soon be smog exempt. My 496 needs more air at higher speeds than the stock throttle body will allow. Plus I like the idea of being able to have a module to tune as i drive, w/out a laptop.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's about the only thing I would buy from Edelbrock. As much as I bash on them, I'll give them credit for thier MPEFI kit. MPEFI from Edelbrock I would consitter buying

[/ QUOTE ]

they put this one a pickup on TRUCKS or Hot Rod Tv and only got like 20 or 30 hp out of it on the dino. i thought that was pretty low for that much money /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh thats the one I got now, but did it for smog legalness.....little did i know a yr after i got it i will be smog exempt, agh.

9. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

From all the comparisons and best bang for your buck, Accel's DFI makes Edelbrock look like a chump and Holley look like a crackwhore.

I don't know, I'd never spend two grand on fuel injection... that's like a third of the price of a LS1.

11. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I am going to start the install on saturday and i should be able to get the intake and new distrubutor in and start the wiring and maybe even get to the fuel system. I should be pretty easy but i will see. One of the main things i like about the kit is the fact that it is a stand along kit no need for a lap top to adjust it.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    That's about the only thing I would buy from Edelbrock. As much as I bash on them, I'll give them credit for thier MPEFI kit. MPEFI from Edelbrock I would consitter buying

[/ QUOTE ]

To bad the kit is for a TBI equipted engine. Here is the one that you ment Z3PR MPFI for non TBI engines

[/ QUOTE ] Yeap, that's it. Thanks for taking the time too find the link. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Congrats on your new upgrade, I have seen that setup in a couple mag ads and have pondered the thought of one on my 350. Now that I know it's more than 2G's I will stop pondering /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

IIRC they are just a GM computer so no match for an aftermarket like DFI or Electromotive

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The link that was posted said uses stock computer, so....

All the tuneability is there whether stock or aftermarket, the only difference is the EASE with which you can do it. Use all the same sensors and principles, just a different interface.

16. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Well in about 2hrs. i have the kit almost installed. They only thing i have to do yet is the fuel system. As far a the computor it is made be magneti marelli which is said to be one of the major US supliers. As to which of the big three use them i dont know. And yes alot of the sensors are AC Delco parts but not all of them some are edelbrock parts. Once i get the chip for the cam i am running i should have it running. There are still a few little things that i need to change like the thermostat,plug boots, heater hose elbows,air cleaner base,and the alternator top mount. These are some of the things that changed with the differet intake set up. I will keep ya updated. All and All i am very happy with the purchase! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

does edelbrock supply you with a chip for whatever cam you are running, or do you have to go somewhere else for a chip if you aint runnin an edelbrock cam? Like im runnin a crane hyd roller, would they make me a chip w/ that cam, or do I have to go to Jet or someone to get a chip made? Also do you keep using your stock computer?

18. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock gives you the first chip. After that you will have to buy them. As far as the computor this is a stand along system you use there computor. They also make a tbi conversion and i am not sure what computor you use with that setup.

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh ive got the tbi-mpfi conversion one.....but i need more haha. I was just curious what all the wiring was, but is that first chip for YOUR cam? Cause when i got my tbi-mpfi setup, the only out of the box chip they gave was for either a stock cam or one of their cams. So I had to get the chip for a stock cam, and then sent it to jet and said make it work w/ the one i actually have.

20. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

The harness was very complete the only thing i will have to extend is the o2 sensor wires they are about 6" to short. As far as the chip they have a bunch of different chips that will work with alot of the cams on the market. Even if they arent theres.

It seems the two big problems would have to be the throttle cable/kick down cable and the alt. mount. Once i get these straighnted out it will be ready to start and run.