Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

edelbrock Q-jet or a plain no name brand?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Apr 27, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I am trying to figure out what to do about my carburetor and I think I am going to just get a new Q-jet. I have been reading other post dating back a year and have found that the Q-jet is what most people like and have. My question is about the Edelbrock electric choke Q-jet. That carburetor is about $500; if it’s worth it I will get it. Is there an off brand Q-jet that is just as good for less money? I was thinking about getting one from a parts store for cheaper. Thanks for the help.

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I bought a rebuilt q-jet @ autozone a few years ago for my el-camino- it was rebuilt by Holley and was only in the $300-$400 range...haven't had any problems out of it at all.

3. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I am running a JET stage 2 in my truck. Its been a good carb so far, I have heard of some problems with them but I haven't experienced any yet. They are priced around $380. Jesse

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

If I were you Id get the edelbrock Q.... its 100% brand new with a few inhancements over stock... I have had good luck rebuilding them myself but if I ever was going to pay several hundred plus for one, it'd be a new Edelbrock

mike

5. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my rochester Q-jet with a completely rebuilt and brand NEW rochester Q-jet of the same year and model (1977 4MV) for $140 after I got my core charge back. I would definitely stick with the Q-jet, because unless you go for the fuel injection I think it's your best route. Although I have heard good things about the new Holley truck avenger carb....might want to check that one out. So far it runs great and I fully expect to get another 8-10yrs out of this one just like my last one. The place I got mine from was a local store called "RECARBCO"...try checking them out online at www.recarbco.com. They rebuild everything, test it on an engine prior to giving it to me and even tuned/tweaked it for offroading. ANother place to check is www.carbs.net. If you need some more info on RECARBCO let me know.

6. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I replaced my carb with a rebuilt one from advance auto parts, I think they too use holly and it broke on me withen a few weeks, the metering rods broke or something, anyway, since it was under warrenty I put that money plus the difference towards a new edlebrok 1904 electric choke. Well worth the extra dough. Couldnt be more happy with it... Go for it.
    Ike

7. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I also got a carb(s) from Autozone that was rebuilt by Holley. Piece of crap rebuilds.

1. First one started dumping fuel out of the top after one week.
    2. Next one wouldn't pass emmissions no matter what it was adjusted too.

3. Third one, the metering rods would stick.

4. Fourth one passed emissions but won't keep a steady idle. I can adjust the idle and a week later it is idling high again even though the adjustment screws haven't moved.

I'm out of warranty now so I will probably rebuild it myself or find a new body for my original carb.

I would say avoid the Holley rebuilt Quadrajets at all cost.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had an engineer/machinist friend that SWORE by the Holley Q-jet rebuilds. (Holley 2's I think) He told me they were the only rebuilds (by a large company anyway) that were actually tested before being shipped out. I thought he said even run, but not sure how they could sell something that had gas in it anymore.

Anyways, I've had some "dud" Q-jet cores, and I can't necesarily fault the company that rebuilds them, there really is no way, short of running it, to know that the float will stick because the casting is warped, or anything like that.

Of course, I'm not defending any company that turns out an inferior product, and if you think about it, that "core* that someone turned in, was turned in for a reason.

Some things like the starter are very simple, and naturally fail, but with a Q-jet, if its not something visibly obvious (soaked float, worn throttle bore, corrosion, etc) a generic rebuild isn't going to fix it.