Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock spring-loaded off-road needle and seat ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by destinbeachman, Dec 6, 2006.

1. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Just got the kit from Summit.I'm going to take the carb apart tomorrow to install it.I don't have a manual for my carb and was wondering if there is anything I should know about before I try to disassemble it to get the float cover off.Things to look out for so I can get it back together properly.Is it pretty straightforward?Thanks.-Allen

2. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Check the Edelbrock site, I think they have a manual that you can download.

3. destinbeachman

Yeah,I tried that but have been unable to get the PDF file to download for some reason.Anyone have any pointers for me while I'm installing these?-Allen

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

5. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

the install is pretty straight forward... adjusting the floats might take a time or two...

This upgrage works 'OK' offroad... I am not very impressed with it, but it does help some... TBI is going to be the answer for me here soon.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Did you block (partially block) the fuel bowl crossover?

I was very impressed with how it behaved at all angles and rough terrain.

7. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I tried to partiall block and completely block the crossover... to no avail. :(

8. destinbeachman

What's getting me is where the online instructions,referred to above,say to set the off-road float level at 3/8" but the printed instructions that came with my needle and seat assembly say 7/16".And I have no idea how to block off the crossover.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.-Allen

9. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Play with each float setting. I found better results at the 7/16 setting. You can block the crossover chamber with a small piece of rubber tube. Do a search on edelbrock offroad needles and seats and you should find a thread by ME! :D

10. destinbeachman

Float level on both sides is 1/8".That can't be good.I'll be really careful bending them back up.Rubber tubing-right on.I was wondering what in the he** I could put in there that wouldn't have any possibility of coming loose and wrecking the carb.It just needs to slow down the emptying of one bowl into the other,right?Doesn't need to block it off completely?-Allen

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Correct.

12. destinbeachman

I used three 3/8" lengths of fuel hose in the crossover.Spaced them out about 3/8" from each other.That way the fuel gets slowed down a bit more than if it just had to run through the pinched hose.It'll flow through like a waterfall when I have her up on her side.No adverse effects on the street,unlike some of the guys that posted up in a few of the threads I searched.I'm going on a ride Saturday on some trails that usually have me irritated because I'm having to ride the gas pedal a lot to keep the motor running.I hope a have a good experience to report.-Allen

13. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I have noticed that forward motion up inclines is worse than downward slopes. Then forward off-camber inclines are the worst... Just my twocents.

14. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

Mines the same way, but it is still a big improvemnet over how it was. I still need to block the crossover cuz it likes to die out on sidehills. It's definately worth the $10. BTW I set my floats at 3/8, and make sure you check to see if your floats are still good. One of my old floats had a crack in it and was full of gas:mad:

15. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

oh yea.. as far as being a cheap fix, it works decent... Its just for the highly steep and off camber stuff it sux. I will check my floats... good call on that one!

16. destinbeachman

This mod was a pretty substantial improvement.Not a fix-all,but much better.It pretty much stopped stalling completely due to bouncing up and over ledges,dropping the front into crevices and ditches and was much better on steeper angles than before.For anyone with an Edelbrock performer carb I'd have to say that for the money(10 bucks)and the time involved(30 minutes)it can't be beat.

17. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Glad it worked for you.

John