Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock squarebore help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Mar 20, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got an Edelbrock #1406 (600CFM, electric choke) that I was told didn't function that I'm trying to get running to put on a pile that I bought. After tearing it apart and cleaning most of it I don't see anything wrong other than the only thing dirtier inside is a bucket of sand. I'm a Quadrabog guy.

There are some things that bother me:
    1. I only found one pair of metering rods (primaries). Am I missing something?
    2. The secondary air valve is non-adjustable. Do you grind on the weights to make it open faster?
    3. There is some kind of square brass and stainless ball thing at the front middle of the carb. I'm not sure if these were put in right. Looks like some kind of loony vent system. Makes sense that the stainless ball goes on the bottom and the square piece of brass on top. Any ideas?
    4. It looks like gravity and fuel pressure with the help of magic makes the needle move with the floats. Are there supposed to be springs holding the needle to the float?
    5. It appears that there are linkages missing on the outside of the carb. I've got coathangers if you've got pictures?

and lastly,

6. What kind of goon would use one of these carbs on an offroad vehicle? It looks like it'd function worse than having a baboon sitting under the hood squirting gas down the throttle body when you pulled on its tail.

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

Get rid of that aluminum intake and throw a stock cast iron intake on from the sperm truck. While your at that you could take my manifolds off too. How's the neighbors like the new addition?

3. CyberSniper

I'm pretty sure the Pile has a no-name intake that'll take either a squarebore or a spreadbore. It looks like it'll take both anyway. Darkness snuck up on me so I didn't get a chance to find out.

I'm fresh out of known-good Quadrajets. The parts truck has an EGR intake with an APT Quadrajet on it. I noticed that last weekend when I was stealing distributor parts off it. I was going to steal it for the Pile if I got a chance. It's got the girliest hanger and rods I've ever seen. I almost did take those manifolds off while I had the back of the motor jacked up but I was too lazy to get out the air hose for the impact.

Lee (Jeep killer) thinks I should drop the transmission, put a new input shaft seal in it (apparently this has been done to it before?), slap some 38s on it, and go break [darn]. I think I need to gut it first.

The other neighbors didn't seem to care. They thought it was going to be my new bush rig. I guess it gives them something to look at besides stare in my bathroom window or my basement window while standing at the kitchen sink.

Maybe my taxes won't go up this year? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. CyberSniper

Steve says that it's an Edelbrock Performer intake. I always thought all Edelbrock stuff said it was Edelbrock on it?

Anyway, I put the carb back together. I just need a fuel inlet gasket and a base gasket. I didn't find anything wrong with it other than the accelerator pump linkage is missing.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. I only found one pair of metering rods (primaries). Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, thats all there is, one set in the primaries. You can change the springs and rods to adjust it learer or richer. Very simple carb.

[ QUOTE ]
    The secondary air valve is non-adjustable. Do you grind on the weights to make it open faster?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hummm, I dont know but I'd be real careful removing weight from that.

[ QUOTE ]
    There is some kind of square brass and stainless ball thing at the front middle of the carb. I'm not sure if these were put in right. Looks like some kind of loony vent system. Makes sense that the stainless ball goes on the bottom and the square piece of brass on top. Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope

[ QUOTE ]
    It looks like gravity and fuel pressure with the help of magic makes the needle move with the floats. Are there supposed to be springs holding the needle to the float?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fuel pressure pushes the needle valve downwards against the float to fill the bowls, when the fuel rises, the floats come up closing the needle valves

[ QUOTE ]
    It appears that there are linkages missing on the outside of the carb. I've got coathangers if you've got pictures

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy most of the linkage parts from performance shops.

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of goon would use one of these carbs on an offroad vehicle? It looks like it'd function worse than having a baboon sitting under the hood squirting gas down the throttle body when you pulled on its tail.

[/ QUOTE ]

The carb is a very good street carb. I have heard about problems with offroad and steep angles. I believe there may be some fixes for that. The Edelbrock carb id a copy of the old Carter AFB and is built by Weber. It is a very simple carb and very good but it does have some offroad issues with steep angles.

Heres the Owners Manual for the carbs that tells you everything about them and how to tune them.

6. CyberSniper

Yeah, I found that manual late yesterday. I set the float height to 7/16 and 1 1/4 as per specified. I was correct on the ball and square brass weight.

The needle and seat thing is kind of scary. The idea of having two huge float bowls seems kind of dumb to me if they're going to do something that retarded. It looks to me that if you were at a steep angle fuel would just dump down the intake.

I guess there is a spring-loaded needle and seat that are supposed to be bandaid fixes for the broken leg. Probably need to adjust the fuel pressure down to 2-3lbs in order to keep up with a Quadrajet though.

My Dad said that they're decent carburetors but are poor in comparison to a Quadrajet. He said most people would be happier with a Dualjet than an AFB in the woods and daily driving. I don't know, they seem to be mighty fine street carburetors but I still prefer the tried and true Quadrajet.

As far as finding linkages locally, that's about as slim to none as possible. The motto around here is, "Performance parts? It's a victory every time it starts!" They'll probably have the base gasket and fuel inlet gasket I need but that's about it. The kid I got the carb from said he had to order the rebuild kit.

Thanks for the help

7. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

Autovalue has a nice edlebrock catalog in houghton. i browsed through it a while back. its worth a good laugh looking through the edlebrock labeled qjets.