Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock Thunder AVS Off-Road, any experiences?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 2, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone run the carb? I was just reading the other post of the "flop" incident where it was said a Holey 670 isn't an out of the box off road carb. I really need an out of the box off road carb. I was planning on the Thunder AVS 650 Off Road with manual choke for a while. I REALLY need a new carb and I'm not very good at car carb tuning. Give me a snowmobile or four wheeler and I can do what I've got to do but cars I don't know they just confuse me.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I bought an Edelbrock Q-jet and it was perfect right out of the box except it was dirty (clogged jets). Once I cleaned them, it was perfect. I only had to go one step smaller on the jets because I'm at high altitude and they come set to sea level.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

They don't call Q-Jets the poor mans fuel injection for nothing....

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you know I've tried multiple qjets on my K5 and they've never ever run well. Besides no electric choke option have to go manual. Oil pressure switch is gone, I know its not hard to replace but not happening.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Well I (and my dad before me) went through 4 cheap rebuilt quadrajets that always were nothing but trouble before I bought the Edelbrock Q-jet. Maybe because this one was new not rebuilt or maybe because Edelbrock has better quality control. If you want an electric choke, I think it's EDL-1904 or 1905.

6. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

I bought one back in may, but i was forced to tow my k5 to my parents farm, no place to work on it, it got broken into, etc etc....
    i broke my foot the day after i ordered it, so it got put on a shelf and has yet to make it on the truck.

i bought it because i had a holley, which sucked big time when it sat for a week or two, seemed like everytime i drove the truck the carb needed fine tuning.

i've heard a lot of good things about the edelbrocks, simple, quality products. unfortunately there arent a lot of real experienced reviews on the AVS offroad carb since it hasnt been on the market for too long. All i can say is that the setup is much nicer than the holley, the adujstment screws are right up front and i'd be surprised if it required 1/4 the attention that the holley needed.
    i'm planning on installing it in a little over a week, if i get it going i'll let you know how it works out of the box.