Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock True Roller on BBC...Advance or straight up?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Oct 25, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am freshening up the BBC I have before I put it in my truck...It is a 1992 TBI 454 with the later model "156" or "peanut port" cylinder heads....I bout a "Truck Torqu Cam" from GMPP and an Edelbrock True Roller timing Chain...Shold I install the cam with 4-degrees of mechanical advance or should I install it straight up? I am going for torque...the specs on the cam:

-Duration at .050" I/E:
    202-degrees/210-degrees

-Lift at valve with 1.7 ratio, I/E:
    .468"/.485

Lobe center line is 110-degrees. So you think I should advance or leave straight up...? Thanks

Chris

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd leave it straight up. That cam doesn't have much duration to begin with, so advancing it could leave the engine pretty weak on the top end. Most aftermarket cams are designed to be installed straight up anyway. If the cam needs to make more power in a different part of the powerband, they just change the lobes. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It's hard to tell exactly what the effect of changing the cam timing will have unless you can test it on an engine dyno. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would install it strait up. advanceing or retarding will only affect rpm/torque by 100rpm or so. It can be used to "correct" a missground cam. The only way to truly tell, is to degree in the cam. most company's say to install strait up.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

What cam is that? Do you have a part number? I used the Desktop Dyno software and that's very close to what it suggested for my BBC.

I'd install it straight up too, if I were you, or maybe I'd try to advance it, drive it for a while, and then change it to straight up and compare.