Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

edelbrock tuning

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Oct 12, 2004.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have a 750 edelbrock on my 350, it is completely stock with an aluminum performer intake and 6inch k&n filter i was told that i could de-jet it to make it run better, right now it is running too rich and it burns my eyes when i try to drive it, does anyone know what i could do to fix the problem? jet sizes, metering rods? etc. i would like to use this carb i got it in trade and it was brand new, i cant afford to get a new one right now, i just want this one to run good for now until i can afford a quadrajet

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd go to www.edelbrock.com and look up the carb you have--they have all the manuals and jet charts,etc.there,along with tons of info on troubleshooting and exploded diagrams. A 750 is a pretty big carb for a 350,unless its a built 350 with a hotter cam than stock. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

750 is way too big a carb for a 350 unless you are revving the wee out of it (7000+).

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

5. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

most stock quadrajets are 750cfm.....

6. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    most stock quadrajets are 750cfm.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Bull [censored]! According the the Haynes Rochester Manual, a 450CUI engine that runs at 6,500 RPM would use 700 CFM!
    This is just a case of an over-carburetted engine.
    Here are 350 specks:
    4000RPM - 325CFM
    4500RPM - 365CFM
    5000RPM - 405CFM
    5500RPM - 445CFM
    6000RPM - 490CFM
    6500RPM - 525CFM

I have a good working stock 1985 Quadra Jet off of a 1985 K5 with a 305 that I would sell you for $50.00 too your door. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    It would *run* the 350 or you could jet it and tune it and it will run the 350!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

8. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Well, your both right. A quadrajet is rated at 750 cfm, some at 800, but ... GM in effect made a variable cfm carb by putting limiting stops on the secondary air valve to limit flow, as well as a spring on the air valve that makes it act more like a vacuum secondary carb. In addition the secondaries on the stock q jet don't start to open till around 70% throttle, which means that most of the time you only run off the primaries.

Heh almost forgot. But in reply to the original post. Pick up a tuning kit for the edelbrock. It will come with several jets, metering rods, and a few power valve springs. Most problems can be solved by changing the rods, and sometimes springs, which is nice because you don't have to disassemble the carburetor to do it. I bought one for a carter one time (same design carburetor) and it came with a lot more jets and rods, but not the springs (which are available seperately). So take your pick.

9. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Hmm...
    Guess I was partially wrong, very wrong about the CFM that the carb is rated for. But that truck is definitly over carburetted.
    Are you interested in the carb, or are you hoping I'd be stubborn and insist I'm right? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif