Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock vs. Qjet vs. Projection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It looks like I am going to be replacing my Qjet here real quick. I am looking into several different options and want opinions on them and have questions about them.

Edelbrock:

1400 series Performer carb. My questions are about its offroadability. I have seen some fixes to make them better offroad, but can it be made to offroad well fairly easily? Will it offroad close to what a Qjet will? I like this option for the money factor.

Qjet: I am already setup for it. It does cost more then the Edelbrock though. Should I go with a Jet performance Qjet or an Edelbrock?

Holley Projection: I saw this today in Checker and started to think that for $300 more then a Qjet I could have fuel injection. How is the Holley 670 CFM system? I am running toward the upper end of the HP limit (275hp) will this be a problem? Being fuel injection it will run at any angle right? How is the durability, tunability, driveability, and longevity?

Harley

2. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

IMHO I would go EFI. The projection kit is not great. Many people have had problems with them. The kit I want is from www.CustomEFIS.com. You want find a more complete kit that has that many features for the price. Plus replacement parts are readily available as they are stock GM. With that kit you also get timing control and closed loop operation.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMO, stay away from the 1400 for off-road use. They can be made "tollerable" at best, and that is from an Edel tech I talked to (actually 2 who both agreed and knew what "off-road" means).

I don't know anything about Jet or Jegs. I had an Edel Q-Jet and that was the best carb I ever ran... But it is $$$

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Couldn't a competent shop completely rebuild your Q-Jet for what you'd spend on a 1400-series Edelbrock???

Unless you're going all the way to a nice fuel injection setup, the Q-jet is hard to beat. If yours is giving you trouble, just get it rebuilt and run it!!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just got the Edelbrock Thunder AVS off road 650, I will let you know how it is when i try it out, should be here today.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Couldn't a competent shop completely rebuild your Q-Jet for what you'd spend on a 1400-series Edelbrock???

Unless you're going all the way to a nice fuel injection setup, the Q-jet is hard to beat. If yours is giving you trouble, just get it rebuilt and run it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i have always used a qjet and loved it.. i put a holley 600 on my truck and it sucks... so am gonna go back to qjet... but im thinkin how bout the holley truck avenger? i hear good things about this carb... maybe that is another possibility? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just took-off a 1400 series Performer carb...
    because...the truck didn't like angles at ALL!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I installed the Holley Truck Avenger 670...
    I LOVE IT!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    People ask if I have Fuel injection!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The truck was still running....even after this..
    [​IMG]

I just turned-it off...so I wouldn't lose oil pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

PRO JECTION

I have a Jasper Crate 350 in my rig. Completely stock. I installed a FREEBIE Edelbrock Performer intake and a used Pro-Jection system with O2 Closed Loop kit.

Im still in the process of working out some issues (not really, I set on the couch every night) with having too small of a return line, but other than that it runs great.

I did a simple test before and after. Before, I pulled onto the pavement left the truck in drive (auto) with 2 HI and the 39.5" IROK's mounted. Tried to spin the tires and it would just load the suspension and not turn the tires.

Installed the Pro-Jection and Edelbrock intake and it will absolutely smoke the tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Much better throttle response.

Plus, try to make it up the Hills we have at Potawatomi with a Q-Jet.

[​IMG]

9. I have a freshly rebuilt Q-jet on the Jimmy and hate it, it does fine for going down the road, but take offs and acceleration suck !! (crate 350) I wish I had injection or an Off-Road Carb

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

isnt the Edelbrock Q-jet easier to adjust than the factory model? that might make it worth getting... the carb sure got great reviews in the mags.

j

11. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Sent you a pm....

Mike

12. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I ran a Edelbrock 850 RPM Performer Qjet on my Caddy 500 and I loved it on and off-road. Idled and ran well right out of the box. It's too big for your application, but the smaller 795cfm should work just fine.
    [​IMG]

Here's the description:

This carburetor is a high performance version of the Q-Jet calibrated for use with the Performer RPM Q-Jet manifold and other high performance, non-emissions applications. It has an 850 cfm air flow capacity, and the .149" diameter needle and seat assembly provides fuel flow to support 500+ horsepower. The unique secondary air valve has special mixture distribution tabs for improved air/fuel distribution and large idle discharge ports to provide sufficient idle control for use with long duration camshafts. A totally unique feature is the adjustable cruise air/fuel ratio for part throttle calibration. Other features include: early Chevy (1966-73) throttle arm and integral electric choke. Main Jet: .074; Metering Rods: Primary-50M, Secondary-CE.