Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

**EDIT** Project: Nissan Diesel Swap... Scrapped

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Jun 10, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Just because some people can't reply...

Other than brand loyalty issues... (Nissan question)

Is there really anything wrong with a Nissan Diesel?? They come in all sizes from 2.0L to 3.3L and range in power from 60hp to 100+hp, non-turbo, and I'd imagine a like amount of torque in comparison to other inline diesels... The best thing is, they are plentiful and apparently cheap... other than being Japanese and likely more expensive to fix if something were to go wrong, is there a hard reason why you guys wouldn't put a Nissan truck diesel in your K5? For the cost aspect alone, I'm leaning towards one of these in the 2.7L-3.3L range instead of a Cummins or GM Diesel.

Both 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder versions are available, and I'm sure I could do a turbo addition when the time comes to actually put the engine in one of my trucks... Considering the 3.3L 6-Cylinder non-turbo is puting out as much power as the 3.9L 4BT, I'd imagine I could bomb the hell out of that Nissan motor, and have one hell of a nice mileage hog...

I also found this and this and this one's for a 4x4 application... on ebay...

The guy who listed these auctions has more available, including transmissions and t-cases, though I am not sure if they are built to handle a Blazer... these are out of cube trucks, just like the 4BT, but I await comment and suggestions from everyone...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  2. PhoenixZorn

By the way, I found the 3.0L Nissan Diesel to have 118hp and 280ft lbs of torque... that's more than the 4BT and it weighs about 25% less while getting about 30mpg.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

No point in looking when I can't post ;)

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

get a member ship :D

5. PhoenixZorn

nt...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  6. PhoenixZorn

7. google

google 1/2 ton status

The only problem that I see is that if you are going to do a turbo upgrade, why not just spend the money on a bigger motor to begin with? I see the weight aspect of it, but in the long run you will spend about the same. Kinda like when I bought my rig. I chose my $800 one over a $2000 one thinking of the money I was saving. After I bought it, I had to replace dry rotted tires, breaks, shocks, tune up, carb, etc.... Shoulda just bought the $2000. Would have saved time and money.

8. PhoenixZorn

I can get a turbo damn near for free... that's not the issue... the issue here is that for 200lbs less, and non-turbo, I'll get the same power as a 4BT and only pay half as much to start out... like I said, the cheapest 4BT I've found was $3995... the cheapest 2.8L Nissan I've found was $750 and it was a running pull... the one I'm looking at is $1150 or so right now on ebay, it came out of a UG truck, basically a Nissan version of the P30 bread truck... it comes with the tranny and I could likely get the guy to include axles too if I sweet talk him.

This is like swapping a 305 for a 6.2, only I'll have to fabricate new mounts for everything to put it in a Blazer, but it won't be much different than the 4BT as far as I've seen so far.

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Do it, make sure to update everyone with your progress.

10. PhoenixZorn

Hehe... Thanks Yunit... I was planning on that anyway... I just want to hear from people why I wouldn't wantt o do a Nissan motor in a Blazer... someone said I'd have to be nuts, but didn't explain themselves... I want to know what's wrong with it...

11. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

if i had the knowledge i would do it...

the good old 6.2 is getting too old ..

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

But it's a Nissan.......

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Those Nissan diesels see use in marine and industrial applications. My buddy has a Datsun pickup with the SD22 that just won't quit.

You could also look into the Landcruiser diesels or the Cummins A3.4L if you want some other options.

14. PhoenixZorn

I've been driving a Nissan Stanza for 175,000 miles.... I'm sure it will hold up to all the crap I'll throw at it... =)

I think I'm going to do it... Anyone want to buy a 295hp 380ft*lb 356??? It's missing the intake and carb... but everything else is good to go.

15. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Putting a Japanese engine in an American Classic is just wrong! Dont play God! Sewing a human head to a goats neck would be more acceptable than this feat. :D

16. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Price and availability of parts would concern me. I think I have seen exactly one nissan diesel around here.
    It may be different where you live.

I think you should do it anyway though just to be different.

17. rjfguitar

I just can't stand Jap/American combinations. Throw a 4BT in your K5 if a small diesel is what you want. It's already turbo charged, can be found for not all that much, more parts available in almost every town, and would keep an American vehicle powered by American power.

You won't be able to get more power out of that Nissan dealy you were talking about that is comparable to the 4BT, the 4 banger cummins is capable of about 325HP RELIABLY and, in theory, about 500HP at complete max. A light duty Nissan engine probably can't get anywhere near that.

Swaping a Nissan diesel into a Toyota sounds like a nifty idea, both are Jap products.

Anyway, I'm not trying to irritate you, do what you like. It just doesn't sound very appealing. If you want to be original find a John Deere engine and swap it in. They made all kinds of little 4 bangers to 12L inline 6's. A JD is ten times better than a Nissan product and even better than Cummins products.

18. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

That would be a very big concern Id think.

Why do you want to go through all this trouble when if you want a diesel you can just throw in a 6.2 and be done?

19. PhoenixZorn

I am not puting a 6.2 in my truck because it weighs too much and doesn't have the output or individuality I'm looking for... if I wanted a 6.2, I would have bought a diesel Blazer to start with... The availability of parts is a non-issue, as the UD trucks are not only used in America, they are built here. Yeah, the diesels themselves are made overseas, but there are readily available parts all over the country. As for it being a light duty diesel, I think not... Our K5s are running what, 5600-6000lbs stock?? A P30 bread van weighs about the same, and they had a Cummins 4BT.... 105hp and 265hp turbo charged... the nissan UD Trucks are not only still being produced, but the lightest one tops the charts at 6280lbs empty, with a 12,000lb GVW. It produces a slightly higher 118hp and 280ft lbs of torque, weighs 200 lbs less than the Cummins, and will fit in a Blazer without any serious modifications... yeah, I'll have to modify the hell out of my 465 to make it fit the motor, but the 465 isn't a straight up bolt on for a Cummins either.

Seriously, the American X Japanese cross comments are pissing me off more than the guys who just say don't do it because it's a Nissan. I think I mentioned something about brand loyalty at the start of this post... if not, I should have... I don't care about the American/Japanese cross thing. I'm looking for good... no... great mileage out of a big ass truck and a good power plant that won't break my bank... I asked about this swap because it will cost me half as much as the Cummins swap, be around the same power, and fit like a glove in my gigantic engine compartment. Not only that, but it will do the same thing as a Cummins with pulling ability, and sound pretty sweet with a turbo and a 3 inch exhaust system...

Honest to Christ, there is nothing wrong with a Japanese engine... and anyone who really thinks that Cummins is a completely American power plant needs to visit their website... couple that with the fact that in most cases, a Cummins is being torn out of a German truck, I don't find it much better than the Nissan.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by asking this simple question, and for those of you who suggested that it may be hard to find parts, I understand, and this rant is not directed towards your comment...

20. rjfguitar

:haha: Sounds like you already had your mind made up before you even thought about posting up this thread. I honestly don't care what decision you make, which is obviously going with the little Nissan 4 banger.

What I meant about the Nissan engine being lighter duty than the 4BT is just that. Not what type of vehicle its in but the engine components. I don't know for sure but I would bet money that the 4BT is a stronger internal engine that will ultimatly last longer, and more important, and have more stamina with mods. Not to mention the Tunability of the Cummins P series engines.

You shouldn't get all mad because some people don't like seeing Jap/american hybrid combo setups. I don't get mad when I see some chevy powered Toy or Nissan powered K5. I just shake my head and move on. I would suggest the same.

If you really want individuality and originality I would think a cool little JD engine would get a ton more rave from fellow people than a Nissan engine and not to mention last longer than the rest of the truck and make twice the power.

Anyway, relax, do what ever you want. It's just that you pretty much made up your mind before you posted and I feel you are upset because not everyone liked the idea. Sorry then, I think it's a nifty, tuberific idea for a Nissan powered buggy. :p: :D