Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edlbrock 1406 or 1901

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arq, Jul 16, 2001.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i think it's time to retire the original Q-jet, too much play on the primary shaft. i was considering going with an Edelbrock replacement. i have heard that the 1406 has problems with heat, that would be a major problem for me since i spend a lot of time in 100+ temps. Is the 1406 that bad?? Then again i like the Q-jet, it's great.
    Has anyone compared the gas mileage on these?? Or are the compareable. at one time i was getting close to 15mph on my old Q-jet.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running the 1901 Q-Jet from Edelbrock. I have had it on my rig for 5yrs now and it has been great!! This last wheelin trip on some of the long hill climbs my rig got up to 230 or so and the carb never skiped a beat! My heart was racing cuz I thought my motor was gonna pop but it survived[​IMG].
    The milage is OK, i think I get about 13 Hwy and around town......well I can't keep my foot out of it so probly drops down to 8-10mpg....
    Get the 1901 it is a little pricy but will be the last carb you will ever need to buy!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

burt,

i saw the pic, wish i could of made it. i'll make up for it, i'm planning on a trip down to baja, heard some roads along the coast are fit for 4x4. i'll take some pics whenever i get there and back.
    I'm sold on the 1901, i did not like the heat problems of the 1406. especially when i do a lot of traveling in the summer heat. As for milege, well i guess need a bigger gas tank. :-)

later,

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Arq,

I'll chime in with a little personal experience....I ran my first offroad 4x4 with the BlazerFest group last weekend. The motor is a 427BB with the Edelbrock 750CFM (1407)......IT SUCKED!!!!!

Just like the article in the March 2001 Peterson's 4-Wheel & Offroad claimed, the carb sputtered over any type of angle, stalled, and was miserable to re-start. I was constantly flooding it, and kept stalling out wherever I tried to go.

After re-reading the article, I will NOT waste another moment troubleshooting or trying to "fix" the carb I have....I'm spending the $450 or so on a brand-new Quadrajet and solving this problem for good.

BTW -> If you really want a 1400-series carb, you can have mine!!!! No wait, I just can't do that to you. You seem like a real nice guy. [​IMG]

For the record....the 1407 returns about 8 mpg around town, and 10.5 mpg on the highway.

-Greg72

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

thanks,
    for the feedback. I've been getting better comments on the 1901, i am sticking to it. by the way summit has the 1901 for around 387 the cheapest i;ve seen it was 386 from this other place. i've delt with summit, so i'll probably go that way unless i see it for a lot cheaper somewhere else.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer