Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edlebrock Carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I replaced my old Quadrajet with a remanufactured Quadrajet but they don't have the same exact model. The new one has an extra vacume port. I plugged it of but it runs rich. This is my second one because the first one did the same thing. I've adjusted every thing to spec for the carb but I'm still getting a ton of carbon comming out the tail pipe.

I was thinking if I take it back I can get instore credit and thought I would get an Edlebrock carb instead since I just can't get the rebuilt ones to work right for emissions.

For those of you that have had both carbs what type of differences, ei: gas milage, performance, etc.. did you notice.

Any comments would be a big help. Also what else to you have to change? Fuel line, Air Cleaner, etc..?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had a lot of problems trying to tune my Quadrajunk er Quadrajet [​IMG]. I keep hearing they are a great carb for the trail and I'm sure some people have had great sucess with them, however I'm not one of those people [​IMG].
    I gave up on my Quadrajet quite a while ago and put a Holley on. What a mistake that was, I think it was worse than the Q-jet.
    Last year I bought an Edelbrock, 600 CFM, electric choke etc. I ended up having to buy an adaptor as well because the edelbrock is square bore instead of spread bore like the Q-jet. I also needed a mounting plate for the linkage. Everything else was straight forward. I installed an in line filter as well just to be safe.
    I immediately found the throttle reponse to be much crisper, but then again I'm comparing to the old Q-jet and Holley.
    My gas mileage went up too. [​IMG] What I like is the tunability of the Edelbrock. Its very easy and doesn't require a degree in rocket science to figure out.
    I've had my truck out on the rocks and such and haven't had any flooding problems either. But if it does become a problem I can always install the spring loaded needle seats (off-road kit). The carb also came with a very comprehensive guide to help you set it up for your application, and gives you a table that tells you what is needed to go a little (or a lot) richer or leaner, and what combination of jets and metering rods will do the job for you. Over all I've been very pleased with mine. Good luck.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I fought with my quadrajunk carb for 3 years rebuilding it, tuning it, rebuilding it again before I finally pulled it off and put my Edelbrock Performer on. That was 8 years ago now. As Rene says, if there is ever a prob with it, it takes a whole hour to pull it off, tear it down, clean it and put it back on. Its so simple, and I have never had anything more than dirt in the float bowl cause me probs. Also I have the off-road needle and seats in and it never has any trouble off camber or on steep hills.

Thats my opinion!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I got a new #1902 Edelbrock Quadrajet about a year ago. Before installing it I completely read Doug Roe's book on Rochester carburetors. It is a great book, specialized in Quadrajets, except it didn't cover how to fix the famous "quadrabog", but that's what forums like this exist for.

Thanks to reading that book before, I was able to determine that there was something wrong in the primary jets. I didn't hesitate to tear it apart and find out there were small pieces of rubber clogging the jets. After that, there have been no problems at all.

I also installed a new Edelbrock Performer Intake at the same time, so installation was pretty easy. I replaced the old fuel lines too.

Good luck.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]