Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edlebrock intake questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Mar 9, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I considering buying an Edlebrock Performer intake from a friend to put on when I install my new cam but I have a few worries. Will the intake hurt my gas mileage much? Will it give me enough extra power to be worth buying it and possibly hurting my mileage? And, I know its for a 350 but does that mean it will work on my truck for sure? Is there anything I should look for to make sure it will work on my truck?(Its a 73 K20). Also, I cant afford a new carburetor for a while, is there any way to bolt the stock quadrajet to the new intake? Im not so concerned with a performance gain at the moment, im just installing the intake while I have the old one off to put the cam in anyway. Someone told me I could get an adapter or something to put my carb on it? Also I was just wondering, how many CFM is my stock carburetor? I had planned on getting a 600 CFM carb after the cam and intake are installed and I find one for a good price. That would be a big enough wouldnt it? Like I said, im not too concerned with getting much more performance out of it, id much rather keep what gas mileage I get now. Finally, what carburetor brand should I look for. Ive had mixed results from asking people so far between Holley or Edelbrock.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the performer is set up to do both carb patterns . and thay are stock replacement in most cases. and you will get some more torque and hp from them and fuel milage. this is from the better design of it over stock. i wouldnt pay over 50-70 bucks for it tho. new are about 99 bucks. just check it over for small cracks where bolts go threw and the carb stud holes for stripped out holes.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

the intake wouldn't affect your mileage enough to even notice it. the power is well worth it. You will need an adapter for the q jet. the stock carb i beleive is 500 cfm. Why not throw an edelbrock square bore on there without the restricting adapter? Personally i would go with the holley truck avenger because its made to handle twacked out angles better than a street carb.

600 cfm is plenty for your motor. depending on the jets a 600 cfm carb will support upwards of 400 hp if its been slightly modified.

Also you should look at the air gap manifolds... they make another 9 hp over the performers.

4. sweetk30

if you have ever looked at one you will see thay are duel pattern and need only the proper gasket. plus stock qjet is not 500cfm its a lot more around 700cfm and some are 800cfm. thats all ..

5. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Im paying $50 for it from a good friend of my dad's that wouldnt cheat me and would give my money back if it was defective so im not worried about that. Also, it was only installed once for a very short time and looks brand new and is in the box with the instructions and stickers and everything. Its very clean and in perfect shape. I think I did see that it had stud holes in two different places for the carburetor? I think they might have been two different sized holes? Or is that something else, I didnt get a great look at it yet.

6. sweetk30

get that sucker and give him the 50 for it now thats sweet deal like new. and the qjet is spread pattern and uses 1 set of holes and all others are square pattern and use other set of holes. good luck and happy wheelin.

7. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I second sweet k30's advise.:waytogo:
    The other advise is bad.:screwy:
    The stock carb should be a Qjet and should be just fine.
    I kept the Qjet and put the edelbrock intake & edlebrock rv cam in my
    1977 3/4 ton 400 sb. I was very satified with the increase in performance.
    I have read a lot of people slamming edlebrock's cams, and there may be better one's out there, but it has worked well for me.
    :grin:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  8. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks, I guess all I need to do now is to order my cam:grin: . Any help with my other questions? Holley or Edlebrock, or possibly staying with the Q-jet. Remember I dont want to hurt my mileage much more with a new carb. Will the stock carb still perform well with the new cam and intake?

9. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Yup, Qjets (when tuned properly) will yield excellent results.

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

yes suggesting a better carb and manifold is bad advice.:grin: :haha:

I said i beleive the stock q jet is 500 cfm and that he would need an adapter and i was wrong. not advice.

Aren't there q jets that go from like 450 on up?

11. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

There are books that have that info. Best thing is to read up on them, then you will know.

12. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

The alterations to your engine will be effected by your cam swap to begin with, make sure you go with OE specs on that if you are worried about gas mileage. If the cam you swap in is similar to OE, the performance of the engine isn't going to drastically do anything by putting on the intake (dual plane edlebrock assumed). Even if you put on a racing intake the stock heads/cam setup are the limiting factor and you would probably lose performance if anything.

There is no combination of good gas mileage vs. increased power. Power is produced by the Air/Fuel mixture, the more AF mixture the more power. So for more horses you are going to be using more fuel especially if you have a lead foot which it sounds to me like you do.

Good Gas Mileage: Leave it Stock
    More Power: Perf Cam, Perf Intake, Perf Heads (even Vortec)

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you don't need an adapter for a q-jet.if the edelbrock performer was any more of a direct replacement GM would have made it.:D

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I know, i know.......

15. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

What cam do you plan to run? If you are worried about milage go with the Performer cam, its matched to run the manifold and is a good combo.

16. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I didnt mean to imply that I expected to keep my exact gas mileage, I do realize the concept of more power=worse fuel mileage and I know that a cam will affect my mileage. I gave up on good fuel mileage a long time ago but id like to stay close to my 8 mpg if I can lol. I was just interested in knowing how much an intake and carb would affect it. If my carburetor doesnt give me any trouble, I plan on using it until it does, but its been pretty reliable so far except for a stubborn choke at times. I originally planned to just install a cam because it has a weak lifter or worn cam lobe causing a slight noise but I found the intake for a good price and I thought it wouldnt hurt to put it on too. The cam I think im going to get is a Crane Cam kit with a 427/454 lift and 260/272 duration. Im also considering the next size up also but I dont think I want it, it has a 440/454 lift. Its a pretty mild cam I think, I dont really want much more performance out of my motor, it has more than enough power, but I need the cam anyway so im gonna get something a little more than stock since im going to all the trouble. Im pretty set on getting it, but ill listen to suggestions on if I should get a different one. If anyone knows anything about how my motor will perform with this cam, intake, and stock carburetor that would help, as well as how much of a mileage loss I should expect. As of now, my motor's only modification are headers.

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

No you weren't completely wrong. I think they were available for different carbs at one point, I know my Performer RPM manifold is square bore and I had to use an adapter to put a q-jet on. Maybe the regular Performer was different in that respect, I dunno...I know I would check to make sure on anything I bought to be on the safe side.

http://www.krazyk5.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

18. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

another option for a cam....if you can find one....

i put a 1968 corvette dual pattern cam in my engine..gives it a nice "lopey" sound at the pipes, and it has nice low end tourque...

i got mine from a hot rod shop for 40 bucks..

19. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

what cam is it? I got the l-79 cam from the 350 hp /327 corvette motors... only its a crane cam hydraulic lifter replica.

I got that nice lopey idle too... nice muscle car idle.

Actually the performer eps is square bore.... i had one on my crate motor before i swapped it for the efi.