Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edlebrock Performer Packages

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Mar 31, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about building my engine up a little bit and was looking at the Edlebrock intake manifold, Carb, and possibly camshaft and lifter kit. Has anyone done this and what kinda improvments did you get? Right now my engine runs great (350ci) so would this stuff be worth the 500$?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Forget the carb, use a Q-jet instead.

Use an Edelbrock Performer EPS instead of the regular Performer if you are going to buy a new one.

If you're looking at the Performer Plus cam, forget it. I have the smallest Comp Xtreme 4x4 and it's similar, but has more lift. Comp says more lift will make more vacuum and more torque. I haven't tried the Edelbrock cam but I've got the Comp and it's great. The cam I'm talking about is 250/258 advertised duration 206/214 duration @ .050" and .432/.453 lift on a 111* LSA. It's very similar to the Edelbrock grind.

I think you'll see some real honest gains from this equipment. If you can do one upgrade and one upgrade alone though, get headers. They make the biggest difference.

3. 76_Cheyenne

I already put a set of headers on a month ago. But whats the difference between a Q-jet carb and the performer carbs besides price?

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok I have to stop laughing now to answer ....
    All I have to say is ever try and off-camber hill or straight up hill the edelbrock will leave you at the middle if not the bottom and the q-jet will get you up and over that hill....no joke the edelbrocks suck (EXCLUDING the 1904 that is to be a q-jet replacement ) ...Do a search on the edelbrock preformers and you will see.The q-jet will bolt to the edelbock manifold too.
    mike

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock carbs are just a crappy imitation of those crappy Carters. Go with a Q-jet or a Holly.

6. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Edelbrocks square bores pretty much suck off road. In my experience they are a good street carb, but they just don't handle angles for crap.

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Had it and loved it - Will do it again on "project: Round 2" Definitely ignore the Performer carb in favor of Hillbilly Injection (finely tuned QJet). The cam was ideal for what I do - not especially big on torque, but great top end. Not much use for the bottom end in the sand and dez, ya know? One word of advice - get either the Edelbrock double roller or a geardrive timing set. Getting that new cam dialed in will be a hell of alot easier without the inherent slack in an OEM type timing set.

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

IMO and the opinion of most of the guys I run with, Edelbrock is the biggest bunch of liars I have ever seen. Their head flows numbers are farther off then anyones (most heads run quite a bit less then advertised outta the box... brodix has been about the closest out of the heads we have flowed). Also the few Edelbrock packages we have seen dynoed came in quite a bit under advertised at the flywheel. Personally use them for an intake if you have to, although a few of the Holley manifolds have flowed well... but all said about Edelbrock. IMO I would save up to ditch your stock heads. You will see way better performance this way. A cam will help you some now, but most stockers just don't flow enough at any lift or make the grade velocity wise... Vortecs and World SR heads are under $500 a pair and both flow decent out of the box... For a bit more you can pickup a set of Dart Iron Eagles in one of varing port sizes (I'd personally looking into a 170cc head for a 350). Order up bares or get a kit (Unassembled but all the parts) and get a pocket job (except of the vortecs) and a 3 angle vj for the best numbers, or just shell out for the heads and bolt them on for a decent gain, when you have more cash and want more power the heads will be worth paying to have ported.

9. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I found a deal I think and have been thinking about it.
    A set of Trick Flow aluminum heads, with a fresh rebuild and in good shape for $500 for hte pair?
    Should I pass?
    Is it worth it?
    They won't be going on right away but hopefully in the future.

10. CaptCrunch

For the price I think you are doing ok with TFS's. I'm not a big fan of them, but I used to run them back when I had a Mustang GT... ran the Street Heats on a 351 fuelie motor. You can't argue for the price. Best SBC heads I have seen are Darts(Especially iron eagles if you are like me and keep with a cast head rather then alum), Canfields, and AFR's... but in the end you most likely will get results comparable with some of the lower aftermarket heads such as the Edelbrocks. Depends on the size of the valves and ports.

11. 76_Cheyenne

Thats good advice but the Q-jets are over 500$ and the performers are only like 275$. But I guess you get what you pay for. But whats the difference with the Q-jet and the performer besides it doesnt stop on hills? Also I heard that Holley carbs suck offroad because the floats stick or something like that when you bounce around offroad. Last, can I bolt a performer Manifold to the stock carb? Or is that not even worth it because i don't have enough money for a Q-jet and manifold.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well Edelbrocks are worse than Holleys off road I'd bet. I've got an Edelbrock now, I can't imagine it being any worse. Mine doesn't even have problems with angles, it's the bouncing that kills it.

13. CaptCrunch

Q-jet's are cheap... go pluck one from a u pull it yard and buy a Rochester book and rebuild it yourself. It is really easy. Otherwise you should be able to find a running q-jet for pretty cheap (100 or less) no problem. They are the exact same thing as an edelbrock one but without the name (or Edelbrock's money grubby paws). You can definetly for a manifold and q-jet. You can also try a local speed shop that sells used or consignment parts or eBay. Lots of performer manifolds get ditched for rpm's

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally, I stay away from things that say Edelbrock on them. I call it Edelcrap. Intake manifold of choice would have to be a DART. Cam of choice would have to be COMP CAMS. Headers of choice would have to be HOOKER. Carb of choice ??????????????????????????????????????????

15. A&P

A&P Registered Member

If you want to go the easy route, and you have an advance auto parts near you, (I know they're a PITA), Go buy a replacement Q-JET. Yah it's factory rebuilt by some 2nd rate company, but they're really clean, and need next to no tuning. The factory replacement for my Q-jet costs 145.99
    Just call em' and ask, or go online and look in the website.
    www.advanceautoparts.com
    Fairly cheap Q-jets. Just my $.02
    -Ben