Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edlebrock Performer Plus Cams

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, May 22, 2000.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Is anybody running one? I just got off the phone with a guy and he said they work like a champ. Curious if anybody else has got some info.
    The blazer is an 89 TBI so I want to keep things sane, just want a little more lowend.

Thanks
    Kyle
    89K5

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My brother has one for his 350 but it is carb'd and he hasn't gotten it in yet.
    One other cam you may want to look at is the CompCmas 4x4 Extreme cam.(Ithink that is what it is called) I dont know if they make it for the TBI, but it is supposed to be desigend for 4x4's..

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Performer Plus is a "bigger" cam than the regular Performer. A guy in the club has one of the Performer Plus in a 304 in his Jeep. It has a bit of a lopey idle and will really rev, but he says that a Performer would have been better in order to get more low end torque. Also, the Performer Plus might be more than what the TBI and computer can adjust to.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The guy I spoke with (salesman, take that for what it's worth) said that the plus would work well for a TBI, and help out with a broader torque band. I ain't looking for nothing nuts, just a little more than what I've got. If I can get something that is basically just an RV style, then I'll be a happy camper.

Kyle
    89K5

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Whoops, I messed up. I talked with the Jeep guy and he actually has the Performer RPM cam, which is the "bigger" cam.
    Sorry.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Performer Plus is Edelbrock's lowest level performance cam. It is basically like an "RV" cam, just a little more duration than stock. I would not recommend any of the Edelbrock cams for your TBI motor (neither does Edelbrock). Look at the Comp cams that are designed to maintain the vacuum level required to keep your TBI system happy. I have heard good things about those cams. Call Comp cams, or visit their web site for a part # recommendation.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

7. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I agree with Mr. 1970 you need a computer specific camshaft. This is due to the lack of a mass air sensor. The speed density system measures air temp and manifold pressure to determine how much gas per "spray". the lower (less) the vacuum the more gas. And with a longer duration vac. goes (less) and the motor will run rich. (If memory serves me right). In my 86 vette I run 236, 246 @50 duration which makes for severe lump and top end power. But trust me all drivability was lost. If I wasn't trying to beat all those fords with it I wouldn't even like to drive it, but it sounds good. The mass air doesn't take into account manifold pressur b/c it measures the amount of air vs. guessing much more accurate. I know the rice burners have small computers to transform speed density to mass air. I wonder if it would work for a chevy. hmmmm.....

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps the k5 alive.

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Fair enough, I'm not sold on any particular cam, just looking for insight. I'm curious why edelbrock sells a complete line of TBI intakes, throttle bodies, cams, lifters,... for these applications. I'm not saying I like the edelbrock over anything else, but I would like for some imput on WHICH one I should use. I'm looking for just a shade above stock, not some lopey, count the cylinders, don't have brakes worth a damn cause I'm outa vacuum type thing. The tech support folks at Edelbrock and Crane have been helpful, but I can't get through to the guys at Comp cams.

Like I said before, I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a LITTLE more low end.

Kyle
    89K5