Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

edlebrock t.e.s. header install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigtruck87, Feb 28, 2004.

1. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

Ok well i bought a set of edlebrock headers for my 87 blazer like long ago. well the weather is getting nice around here and i'm finally getting time to put them on. but the directions kinda suck. it's not like i cant install a set of headers but the directions are very vauge.

i was just wondering if anyone had istalled a set if they can tell me what bolts need what washers?

i was going to put the 3/8 x 1in bolts with lock washer in all holes except the end ones which are sloted. for those i will use the bolts and lock washers plus the flat washers. but then i dont know what to do for the front most ones by the a/c braket. i dont know what washers to use and in what order (lock washer\spacer tube\flat washer)

ok well i dont know if i made any sense or not but any help would be great. how ever i'm installing them in the morning do if i dont figure it out by then i'll just wing it.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I put a set on the 4.3 in my '91 S-Jimmy about 10 years ago, but I don't recall it being difficult. The only hassle I ran into was that the power steering pump had to be removed before the drivers side would drop into place. I went out and bought an $80 tool to remove and reinstall the pulley. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also, unless they have changed since then, read the instructions closely about the "coating" that's on them from the factory. I sandblasted mine and painted them with header paint just before I installed them. They stunk BAD for a few days until the paint was fully cured, but it has stayed on VERY well over the years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigtruck87

i sent mine to jet-hot for coating so they should be just fine.

4. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

I did the same as HarryH3, putting a set of edelbrock headers on a 89 s-blazer I had before. Installation was tight, but no problem. They gave me two one inch spacers for the upper accessory support, since the cast manifold was thicker. I also made the mistake of listening to the Summit racing tech that told me I should wrap my headers with shielding tape, a thick fabric tape, to keep my wiring to the starter from melting. Well it melted anyway and the headers rotted out within 5 months during winter. The other thing is to use the right size exhaust donuts to connect at the collector. I have used headers on other vehicles as well, Chevelle, Mustang etc. Make sure both surfaces are clean and nonpitted (header/exhaust ports) and don't use a gasket, go metal to metal. Gaskets in my experience always fail and leak. Good Luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] K5 is not just a 4x4, it is a great place to spend all your hard earn money and spare time.

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I just did mine on my 87 last weekend too.
    It sounds like you have the slotted holes figured out, they need the flat washers.

As for the A/C bracket, I onlt needed one of the tubes to use a flat washer as well, I think it was the front one of the two and I went washer, spacer, bracket, lock washer bolt.

The front ones were weird and a little tough becasue of the way the A/C bracket mounts to the power steering bracket, they kinda pivot off of each other and were a pain to remove, but once I had them off it just took a bit of careful adjustments to get the bolts to line up and not bottem out.

The worst part of it was I had to install 6 plugs from under the truck. I just couldn't reach around the header to put them in and there was no way of tightening them from above either.
    And I still ahven't figured out what to do for the plug wires as my old ones will no longer reach.

If anyone has any ideas there I'd be happy to hear them, casue that and the one AIR check valve that I still need to replace are the only things left on mine.

I have pics on my cardomain pages.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, I wonder why they built the V8 versions like that? I have good access to all the plugs on my 4.3, which is just a 350 with 2 cylinders missing. The back 2 on the drivers side have to come out through the wheel well, but it was like that from the factory. The steering shaft is in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But the TES system doesn't get in the way all all on this engine. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. bigtruck87

Ok well the headers are installed. it wasnt that bad a little bit of a pain in the a** but all and all not too bad. i did have to put in some plugs from under the truck but its not too hard to get under a lifted truck so i dont mind. the part i had the most trouble with was the damn dipstick tube i bent the hell out of it to get if to fit. i dont think it's right but who cares how much oil you have anyway. dropping it off at the exhaust shop tonight so they can put exhaust on it tommorow. right now its pretty loud with no exhaust should be a fun ride to the shop.

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Did you actually get the bolt that holds that top of the tube back into the block?

No matter what I did I could not get that bolt in, I got the tube in no problem but the support bolt will not go in at all.
    The stupid air injection tubes are in the way! Using their bolt there is no physical way to get it in, the bolt is twice as long as the amount of room I have!? And the stock one is way too short because of the flange!? WTF were they thinking?

Glad it worked out ok for you though, that bolt is the only problem I really had, still need to buy some new plug wires and 1 new plug though. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. bigtruck87

lol. yea i got the bolt back in but i cut the braket to make it fit. then the tube was in the way of the air fitting so i bent it, now its so bent that the dipstick wont go into the tube. at least the tube is in place so i wont leak oil. i'm gonna e-mail edelbrock and complain about the direction because there is also a braket on the front bolt of the right manifold but no way to mount it one the hader is on. all and all i like the product but it just doesnt seam that the simple things should be all that hard. good luck with you new wires.