Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Educate me on T-cases and trannies

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My K5 originally had a TH700/NP208. I had a TH400 swapped in and kept the same T-case. I also have a CUCV with the original TH400/208 combo. What does it take to get a 205 onto either of these vehicles?

I'm confused about the different possible outputs of transmissions and inputs to T-cases, plus adapters. I think my K5 has an adapter to go from the TH400 to the 208. The TH400 might have been originally from a 2WD application. :confused:

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I was reading about the LoMax, but I'm not sure what would be involved to get something like that hooked up (not that I really have the cash for something like that right now anyway, but still).

2. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Well to start with you need to know what was done when the Th400 was swapped in. They could have changed your 208 to a 32 spline input or they could have installed an aftermarket 27 spline output into the Th400 to run that case. Either way you need to ask what they did so you will know. If it is 27 spline you will need to either change the output back to 32 spline or run a 27 spline input case off of a Th350. Your best bet is to start with the 400 208 combo out of the cucv that you know is still 32 spline.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So for the CUCV, what's involved? The 205 will bolt on? How about crossmember?