Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*eep question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, Nov 27, 2004.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

I'm sorry to be asking such a question but i need steered in the right direction. My blazer is having problem after problem so I'm going to put it on the back burner for now and possibly buy a 1987 J10 pickup. It has a 360 motor that needs replaced. My question is, is it interchangable with a dodge motor or anything or do i have to use strictly jeep parts? I love the interchangablity of /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif's. TIA

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If it predates Chyrsler buying AMC/Jeep , then its an AMC motor I believe . Chrysler stuff won't just bolt in . They also used many GM sourced parts prior to Chyrsler , like transmissions and steering columns and lock cylinders . You can use AMC stuff for that motor if I remember correctly /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

another question is, is the bolt pattern the same 6 lug pattern as my blazer? Thanks again.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

AMC/Heep 360 is NOT the same as the Chrysler 360. No direct interchange.

Seems like for the work of fixing the J-10 you could have some/all of the issues w/ the K fixed?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Your pretty much stuck with Jeep or AMC motors,thats all that will bolt in--but they make tons of adapters to put nearly any other motor in jeeps(especially chevy's)so you could go that route--but like the other post said,fixing your other truck might be less work(and a lot easier to find parts for)--most of the people with jeeps near me have more than one--one to run,and at least one more for parts rotting in the backyard... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I've seen a decent J10 pickup for sale near me,and it looks pretty solid,I am tempted to look at it--but I have so many GM parts still in my shed it wouldnt make too much sense to buy a different truck the parts wont fit--I do like the J10's body style though--too bad its a jeep. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

My dad and I have been keeping our eyes out for one of these trucks because there aren't many around here and he used to have one so we've always wanted to get another one. I'm tired of working on the blazer for now so i'm just gonna park it until i can afford to fix it up. My dad will help pay for the jeep more than the blazer because he really likes those j trucks.

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Whats wrong with the Blazer that warrants parking it?

I agree with the pthers- parking one old truck to purchase another seems like a step in the wrong direction. What about cutting your losses and selling the Blazer?

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm tired of working on the blazer for now so i'm just gonna park it until i can afford to fix it up

[/ QUOTE ]

If you cant afford to fix your Blazer. How can you afford to fix up a jeep? Older full size Jeeps like the one you are talking about can turn out to be real money pits. Espically the ones with qudratrack.
    Believe me. I have owned a bunch of them.

10. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

The reason i can afford to work on the heep is because my dad will pay for everything on it because he'll use it as much as me. The blazer is my project so he won't pay a dime towards it.

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

go to www.ifsja.org for good info on Fullsize Jeeps

its a good site, they were very helpful when I was about to buy a fullsize Cherokee (the deal fell through, though).